Muscle pain has become a pain that can arise at any time, and there can be various reasons for it, for example, Dehydration, Sprains and strains, too much physical activity, Nutritional deficit, and many more. Tizanidine may be an answer and solution to it.
This blog will provide you with a piece of rich information about Tizanidine medicine. It further covers the uses, side effects, precautions, and much more.
What is Tizanidine?
Tizanidine is sold under the brand name called Zanaflex, Sirdalud, and others. It is a short-acting muscle relaxer. It has been shown to be more effective than other antispasmodic drugs and is more tolerable than baclofen and Flexeril.
The drug was allowed for medical use in the United States in the year 1996. In 2018, it ranked 86th as the most commonly prescribed medication in the U.S with over 8 million prescriptions.
Tizanidine starts serving by blocking the pain sensation that is traveling to our brain. It may slow down the action of the brain and nervous system to allow the muscle to relax.
Tizanidine is used to treat muscle spasticity, spinal cord injury by temporarily relaxing muscle tone.
It calms the spasms and strengthens muscle tone precipitated by several sclerosis. If you ever undergo neck or back strains, you may be prescribed a muscle relaxant like Zanaflex and Robaxin. It comes under the drug group of skeletal muscle relaxants.
Dosages and Strenghth Zanaflex
Zanaflex comes in the form of capsules and tablets. The tablet form of Zanaflex is much more pricey than the capsules. The capsules are available in three strengths- 2.29mg, 4.58 mg, and 6.87 mg which is equivalent to 2,4, and 6 mg tizanidine base.
- The initial dosage can be 2 mg orally every 6-8 hours as necessitated.
- The highest single dosage can be 16 mg
- The highest daily dosage can be 36 mg in 24 hours.
Do not take more than 36 milligrams or more than 3 doses in 24 hours per day. The body takes the medication differently depending on whether you take it as a tablet or capsule and whether you take it on an empty stomach or on food (you can sprinkle the capsule contents on food). You can take Tizanidine for daily activities that require relief from muscle spasms. However, do not use it at times when you need muscle tension or secure balance movements during certain activities.
The dosage can vary from person to person. Kindly consult and follow the advice of your doctor.
How long it takes to Kick in?
Zanaflex usually commences working within 1-2 hours after the admission and lasts around 3-6 hours.
The operation and lasting effect vary from person to person depending upon the age, gender, and medical condition. For example, Zanaflex will last longer within a person who is above 50 years old.
Side effects of Zanaflex
Like every coin, every drug has 2 sides, one positive and another negative. The side effects may be sometimes the signs that the drug may not be suitable for you.
Side effects are divided into common and severe. To know more, kindly find the list below-
Common side effects-
- Drowsiness, dizziness, delicacy
- Feeling nervous
- Blurred vision
- Flu-like symptoms
- Dry mouth, trouble to speak
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Runny nose, sore throat
- Urination difficulties, painful urination
- Vomiting, constipation
- Uncontrolled muscle movements.
Get medical help if you experience-
Allergic signs- hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Other side effects-
- A light-headed feeling.
- Weak or shallow breathing.
- Confusion, hallucinations.
- Pain or burning when you urinate.
Above is not the complete outline of side effects. If you endure any other side effects, do not intimate to visit your doctor. If in case any of the side effects including common do not go away easily or get more acute, take instant medical support. Do not take any side effects for granted.
Cost of Zanaflex
Zanaflex comes in capsule and tablet form. Both costs differently.
- 2mg- $137.71 for 150 capsules.
- 4 mg- $ 344.59 for 150 capsules.
- 6 mg- $ 291.47 for 150 capsules.
- 2 mg- $ 13.90 for 12 tablets.
- 4mg- $ 16.09 for 15 tablets.
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not take Zanaflex if you are allergic to it and also if you take the antidepressant fluvoxamine and antibiotic ciprofloxacin.
- Brief your doctor about your medical history and especially if you ever had liver disease, kidney disease, or low blood pressure.
- Stick to the dosage prescribed by your health care provider. Do not abuse or overdose.
- You can take the medicine with or without food but make sure you follow the same system every time.
- Visit your physician if you mark any shifts in your body.
- Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages while on this medicine.
- The medicine will make you sleep so make sure you do not work on any hazardous machinery unless you feel well.
- If in case you miss your dose, take it immediately but do not take it if it is time for another dose. Never take 2 doses at one time. Too much medicine can harm your liver.
- Do not stop taking the medication on your own, talk to your doctor, they may reduce the dose before stopping the intake completely, to avoid withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, tremors, increased blood pressure, heart rate, and muscle tension.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
The drug is not recommended for women who are pregnant unless it is necessary and the physician feels that the benefits will overweight the risk. Similarly, it is not recommended for breastfeeding unless necessary. The safety of this medication is not established, and if used, the infant should be observed for toxicity such as sedation, hypotension, and hallucinations.
Where to Buy Zanaflex online?
Tizanidine, available under the brand name Zanaflex, is a prescription medication. While there are ample valid pharmacies that sell prescription medications online, there are many more scam websites most likely looking to sell fake varieties. You can buy Zanaflex online safely, but only from a licensed pharmacy.
Tizanidine acts on the central nervous system (CNS) to develop its muscle-relaxing effect. The drug is used to calm and heal the injured muscles. It is a prescription medicine. Do not share your medicine with anyone and keep it away from children.
Always follow the doctor’s advice. Never abuse the drugs. Report to the doctor if you do not feel better even after taking the drug, your doctor will prescribe another medicine for you.