Zanaflex is a medication used to treat muscle pain and muscle spasms that are caused due to spinal injuries. Tizanidine is the generic name of Zanaflex.
Zanaflex is a member of the drug class called Skeletal muscle relaxants. It is a quick-acting pain reliever drug.
Zanaflex is an oral medication available as capsules and tablets. You can also buy zanaflex online from certified pharmacy with doctor's advice. It can be used alone or with other medication as a combination medication (Wagstaff, A.J. and Bryson, H.M., 1997).
Is Zanaflex Addictive?
Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer that helps to reduce muscle pain and spasms. Following proper medication and doctor’s advice can lead to effective results of Zanaflex and provide pain relief.
But it is observed that Zanaflex can be addictive.It is an effective medicine, but some individuals may develop an addiction to Zanaflex.
People with a previous history of drug abuse or dependence have a high chance of getting addicted to Zanaflex. Addiction may start if the daily dose goes beyond 20 mg and 36 mg (Spiller, H.A., Bosse, G.M. and Adamson, L.A., 2004).
Why Is Zanaflex Addictive?
Zanaflex relieves pain by affecting the nerve impulses in the spinal cord. It acts on the CNS and creates a tranquilizing effect on people taking it.
Thus, it might lead to addiction and withdrawal symptoms when someone stops taking Zanaflex suddenly. But it is observed that Tizanidine can’t be highly addictive unless consumed in higher doses.
Overdosage and using it for a long time can lead to dependence and addiction. Also, Zanaflex can be used as an off-label treatment for migraine headaches and insomnia.
Hence, using Zanaflex for these reasons might also contribute to the addiction to get better results quickly. This can also lead to people consuming Zanaflex in higher doses (Koyuncu?glu, H., Arici?glu, F., Üresin, Y., Dizdar, Y. and Esin, Y., 1992).
Signs Of Zanaflex Addiction
Zanaflex is not highly addictive, but if taken in higher doses for a longer time, it can be addictive. If you are taking higher doses and experiencing some changes or side effects in the body, you might be addicted to Zanaflex.
Following are some signs of overdose and addiction of Zanaflex:
- Severe dizziness
- Difficulty in breathing- sometimes quick while sometimes slow and shallow.
- Chest pain
- Hallucinations and Delusions
- Urination and kidney problems
- Problem in muscle movements
- Severe dry mouth
- Flu symptoms like runny nose and fever
- Constant craving for consumption
One should stop taking Zanaflex if any of the symptoms are observed, as it can lead to other harmful risks, which can be fatal.
Withdrawal Symptoms Of Zanaflex
Withdrawal symptoms can be observed when an individual consumes Zanaflex for a very long time or takes higher doses and stops taking it suddenly. Following are some of the withdrawal symptoms that one can experience:
- Hypertension/ high blood pressure
- Muscle problems like Hypertonia
- Irregular heartbeats called Tachycardia.
These withdrawal symptoms may trouble an individual that may lead to consuming the medicine again. Proper treatment and consultation can help tackle these symptoms.
Is Zanaflex A Narcotic/Controlled Substance?
Zanaflex can be highly addictive only if it is consumed in higher doses. Though Zanaflex is addictive, it is not a controlled or narcotic substance as it doesn’t have a high potential for getting abused.
One needs a valid medical prescription to get Zanaflex due to its addictive ability, but it is not a narcotic medicine.
How To Overcome Zanaflex Addiction?
Addiction to any drug can negatively impact the body and lead to many severe side effects. Similarly, it is essential to overcome if you are addicted to Zanaflex. Following are some of the steps which can be helpful to overcome the addiction:
- Follow the medicine dosage and take the exact dose guided by the doctor.
- If you experience any difficulty while taking the prescribed doses, don’t stop or change the dose independently. Consult your doctor.
- If you feel like you are getting addicted to Zanaflex and taking extra doses, immediately contact the doctor in the first place to prevent the situation from getting worst.
- One can take medical help and prefer medical detoxification, which can help against the withdrawal symptoms and take the toxins out of the body.
- Join support groups or indulge in hobbies.
- Exercising and meditation can help work against withdrawal symptoms like nervousness and help overcome dependency.
Contact the following helplines to get emergency medical help against overdose and addiction.
- For the UK
- For ambulance, call 999.
- To connect to NHS UK, call 111.
- For the USA
If you are not residing in the UK or USA, there are separate helplines for every region or country which can provide medical help after contacting.
Zanaflex is an effective muscle relaxer that helps with muscle pain and spasms. It is not highly addictive but can be addictive if taken for a longer time or consumed in higher doses.
Thus, it is essential to follow proper instructions while taking Zanaflex. Before taking Zanaflex, please discuss with your doctor to get effective results by following the correct dosage without getting addicted.