Tizanidine is a short-acting muscle relaxant. This drug is an effective treatment for spasticity, caused by many different conditions. Muscle spasms are usually associated with painful sensation. Relaxing muscle tone, Tizanidine’s activity also results in pain relief. This pain relief properties makes it a great option to buy tizanidine
Tizanidine is a Generic name, whereas the brand name is Zanaflex. It is possible to buy Tizanidine online from certified pharmacy. It is recommended to follow doctor’s advices before taking this medication.
Study On The Effectiveness Of Tizanidine For Back Pain
Study: “Tizanidine and ibuprofen in acute low-back pain: results of a double-blind multi-centre study in general practice"
Aim: The aim of the study was to assess the efficacy and safety of Tizanidine and Ibuprofen in the treatment of back pain .
Method: In total 105 patients suffering from acute low-back pain were enrolled in the study. Patients were divided in two groups: one treated with tizanidine (4mg 3 times per day) plus ibuprofen (400mg 3 times per day), the other treated with placebo plus ibuprofen (400mg 3 times per day). A doctor assessed patients’ condition at baseline and then on days 3 and 7 of the study. Patients also recorded on a diary, on daily basis, their perception of pain using visual analogue scales.
Results: This study shows that Tizanidine plus ibuprofen, compared to placebo and ibuprofen alone, is more effective to manage and relieve moderate/sever low-back pain
How And When To Take Tizanidine For Back Pain?
Tizanidine is administered orally and is available in two forms: capsules and tablets. Patients can take tizanidine with food or empty stomach.
Tizanidine is a medicine that can be consumed at any time, but with a time gap of at least 6-8 hours. Tizanidine should always be taken following doctor’s recommendation.
At the Start of the treatment- The doctor may prescribe you to take 2mg every 6-8 hours.
Continuation of the treatment- The doctor may prescribe you to increase the dosage by 2 to 4mg until the symptoms are controlled.
Maximum dosage- A person should not exceed 3 doses within 24 hours, up to 36 mg daily.
People below 18 years should not take Tizanidine, due to lack of data about this population.
Data about Tizanidine use in elderly people (>65 years) are scarce. If the treatment is necessary, the doctor will prescribe the lowest dose of Tizanidine and eventually increase it gradually, only if required.
Tolerability and efficacy have to be carefully monitored by the doctor, especially considering the higher risk of renal issues in this population.
What If I Skipped A Dose Or Overdose?
If it happens to you to skip a dose, you should avoid taking two doses at one time to cover up the previously missed dose.
If you take more than one dose at the time you could experience side effects like fainting or confusion, and you should consult a doctor.
Who Should Avoid Taking Tizanidine?
These people should avoid taking Tizanidine
- If the person is already using fluvoxamine (medicine which is used for treating obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- If the person is consuming ciprofloxacin (medication which is used in treating bacterial infections)
- If the person uses antidepressant medicines.
- If the person has any kidney-related issues.
- If the person has any liver-related issues.
- If the person has any heart-related issues.
You Need To Inform The Doctor If You Are Taking Medication Like
There are different medicines that affect the body if you take Tizanidine with it. Tizanidine make the person feel sleepy a lot, which can also be unsuitable for body function.
Below are Some medication you should take care or notify your health expert.
- Acyclovir: This medicine is used to treat different infections, as it’s an antiviral medicine
- Ticlopidine: – This medicine is used to treat strokes and coronary stents.
- Zileuton: This medicine is used in the treatments of asthma
- Birth control pills: this medicine is used for not having babies and to control the birth of a child.
- Antibiotics: These medicines are used for treating different bacteria in the body.
- Blood pressure medications: These medicines are used to control blood pressure problems.
- Heart rhythm medications: These medicines are used for treating when the heart causes slow blood flow
- Antacids drugs: These medicines are used for treating stomach-related issues.
Tizanidine, relaxing muscle tone, is very effective for treatment of spasticity and back pain. It has a good tolerability, but it can have side effects so it has to be taken following carefully doctor’s recommendations.
- Wagstaff, A.J. and Bryson, H.M., 1997. Tizanidine From LinkSpringer accessed on Jan 19 2022.
- Berry H, Hutchinson DR. Tizanidine and ibuprofen in acute low-back pain: results of a double-blind multicentre study in general practice. J Int Med Res. 1988 Mar-Apr;16(2):83-91. doi: 10.1177/030006058801600202 Accessed on Jan 19 2022
- Tizanidine (OralRoute) by Mayoclinic accessed on Jan 20 2022.