Soma belongs to the class of drugs known as centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxants. It belongs to the group of muscle relaxants known as carbamates.
Soma can help relieve pain, lower muscle tension, and reduce anxiety when prescribed but is often used as a recreational drug due to its potent effects. Alcohol consumption is a dangerous synergy that increases soma effects, which makes the combination a risky combination.
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has not approved Soma to help with anxiety.
Why is Soma not Good for Anxiety?
Soma is the brand name for the prescription carisoprodol a muscle relaxer with sedative properties that dampens central nervous system activity.
Though Soma reduces anxiety is not recommended for a longer span as it is not approved for anxiety by the administration.
If you have anxiety trouble communicate to your doctor, they will prescribe the most suitable drug for you.
What is Soma originally intended to be used for?
The medication works by affecting the communication among the nerves in the central nervous system. It is a drug prescribed to relax the muscles and relived the pain from it—injuries caused by sprains and strains. The drug may be addictive if misused and can be caused dependency. It acts in the brain and doesn’t relax the muscles directly.
Mixing the Soma drug with alcohol can exacerbate undesirable and dangerous side effects such as dizziness and judgment. The risk of abuse of Soma pill comes from taking more carisoprodol than prescribed and from drowsiness or dizziness. These side effects can be exacerbated in cases where the pill is abused.
If not Soma, what are some other drugs one can take to Calm Anxiety?
There are a total of four major classes of drugs used to calm anxiety;
they are –
• Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs): This class of drugs can ease average to severe depression symptoms and are relatively safe.
• Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs): This class of drugs treats depression and can cure anxiety disorder and long-term pain.
• Benzodiazepines: These drugs are used to calm a person by raising the level of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA in the brain.
• Tricyclic Antidepressants: these are second-line drugs next to SSRI. They are primary used as antidepressants to manage depression.
• Ketamine (Eskatimine): This drug is used before surgery to put you to sleep.
• Consult your doctor before taking any medications. Your physician will observe your situation and will prescribe the right drug for you.
• Remember that drugs usually take around 4-8 weeks to work to become fully effective.
• Sometimes, one will need a combination of antidepressants.
• Side effects may vary as it depends on the drug you are consuming, and once your body gets to adjust to the drug, it will improve.
What are some Natural Remedies to Calm Anxiety?
- Get some sleep: get quality sleep for yourself. Avoid sleeping late, watching tv in bed, using gadgets on the bed, etc.; try sleeping early so that you will appear fresh in the morning.
- Meditate: The primary goal of mediation is to eliminate negative thoughts from your mind and replace them with peace, positivity, and mindfulness. Meditating every day can benefit you in a great way.
- Eat healthily: Monitor your eating habits. Exclude processed foods from your menu. Stay hydrated and consume stuff rich in complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables, and thin proteins.
- Avoid consuming alcohol: Alcohol is a natural sedative. It may calm you down for a while but then will hit you vigorously. It may also develop alcohol dependence.
- Stay active: Hit the gym, walk around, exercise, do yoga, or meditate but keep yourself active as much as possible. It is not a short-term fixture, but it will serve you hours later too.
Muscle relaxers can help relieve pain, lower muscle tension and reduce anxiety due to its calming effects when prescribed by doctors, but is often used as a recreational drug due to its potent effects.
The maximum recommended dose of some is 350 mg. The drug is prescribed for people undergoing muscle pain affected by a sprain
The drug generally works within 30 minutes and lasts for 4-6 hours.
Though Soma can be an adequate cure for Facial flushing, sleeplessness, nausea, and abdominal discomfort, it may be addictive and carries the potential for abuse. Misuse of the drug can cause a heart attack or stroke and can also cause sudden death.
Benzodiazepines support in managing many anxiety disorders, including panic dysfunction, generalized anxiety dysfunction, etc. Some examples of these drugs are- alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium), and lorazepam (Ativan).
Dean L. Carisoprodol Therapy and CYP2C19 Genotype. 2017 Apr 4. In: Pratt VM, Scott SA, Pirmohamed M, et al., editors. Medical Genetics Summaries [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Center for Biotechnology Information (US); 2012-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425390/ Accessed on 10/08/2021