Carisoprodol (Soma) is a Schedule IV medication, similar to benzodiazepines such as Ativan, Valium and Xanax
Robaxin (methocarbamol) and soma (carisoprodol) both are skeletal muscle relaxants. They work on CNS (Central Nervous System). They are used in resting and physiotherapy to treat skeletal muscle disorders such as pain and injury. You can also purchase Robaxin online from a certified online pharmacy but it is advised to take a doctor’s prescription before consuming any medications.
It is also useful in the treatment of seizures and muscle spasms that occur in cats and dogs from the ingestion of toxic substances. It can also be used to treat muscle injuries and inflammation in animals.
Robaxin and Soma the same thing?
Both Robaxin and methocarbamol can relieve muscle spasms.
Looking at Metaxalone vs. carisoprodol, it becomes clear that the two drugs are very similar.
Most muscle relaxants that treat muscle pain and sprains work similarly with similar side effects.
Similarity between Robaxin and Soma
Both Robaxin and soma induce the same side effects with a few inclusions and exclusions here and there:
Side effects of soma that Robaxin does not induce are:
Side effects of Robaxin that Soma does not induce are:
- double vision
- stuffy nose
Both drugs interact with similar drugs. Robaxin and soma interact with alcohol and other drugs that induce sleepiness and affects breathing such as:
- sleeping pills
- pills for convulsions
- pills anxiety
- muscle relaxers
- Pyridostigmine (medication to treat myasthenia gravis)
- Donepezil (medication to treat dementia)
- Galantamine (medication used in alzheimer’s disease)
- Rivastigmine (medication for Alzheimer and Parkinson’s.)
- Tacrine (acetylcholinesterase inhibitor)
- Barbiturates (it is a sedative hypnotics)
Robaxin and Soma (Carisoprodol) available at a discounted price
How does Robaxin and Soma differ?
Robaxin and soma, apart from being skeletal muscle relaxants are different drugs with different mechanisms.
Their form of availability, dosage, duration of consumption all differ from each other.
Robaxin is found to be available in tablet and injection form, whereas soma is available in only tablet form.
The average half-life of Soma is more than 3 weeks.as it soon becomes an addiction, whereas Robaxin induces sleepiness which becomes an obstacle when performing tasks and operating machinery.
Who is More Effective Robaxin or Soma
Muscle relaxants are more effective for short-term relief than placebo but there is a 50% risk of side effects. Muscle relaxants must be individual factors that must be taken into account, including symptoms, proven medications, possible side effects and other conditions. The study authors note that the study compared muscle relaxants with first-line treatments such as Tylenol and NSAIDs.
Furthermore, it has not been proven that skeletal muscle relaxants are superior to paracetamol, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for back pain. The evidence for their effectiveness consists of studies with poor methodological conception. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses support the use of relaxants for skeletal muscles for the short-term relief of acute back pain, but anti-inflammatory drugs such as paracetamolin are not effective or well tolerated.
Your healthcare professional can determine if Robaxin or Soma is more appropriate for you, considering your symptoms and medical condition, along with other medications you take that could potentially interact with Robaxin or Soma. Your doctor will assess your risk for abuse or dependence if considering Soma.
Warnings of Robaxin and Soma
This drug should not be used in early pregnancy and breastfeeding. It may harm an unborn baby.
- Do not consume medication with alcohol or marijuana as it may cause serious side effects.
- Diseases such as kidney and liver disease can also be influenced by the way they are metabolized. As mentioned above, it may limit the effectiveness of medications against myasthenia gravis.
- Methocarbamol can cause side effects that make it dangerous to drive machinery or operate it. Avoid driving or doing anything which requires you to be alert as drug impair and delays your thinking and actions.
- Do not consume methocarbamol if you are allergic to it.
you should only take it for a short period of time (2-3 weeks) as there is no evidence of efficacy with prolonged use.
- Carisoprodol (Soma) can cause drowsiness and dizziness, so it should not be used by anyone over 65 years of age as it could make the patient dizzy and unstable and they might hurt themselves.
- Overdosing on soma can lead to CNS (Central Nervous System) depression. Soma overdose can lead to death, coma, convulsions (seizures), euphoria, headaches, hallucinations, fluctuating blood pressure and incoordination.
No, Soma and Robaxin are not the same, however, the both possess similar functions like acting as muscle relaxers for pain relief. They also give similar side effects and interacts with same medications. Robaxin and Soma have different dosages, ingredients and controlled substance classifications.
Robaxin has found to be effective as a CNS (Central Nervous System) depressant and muscle relaxer. The doses (amount of mg consumed) may play a part in Robaxin being a strong or a weak muscle relaxer according to some patients. Robaxin is inexpensive compared to other drugs. Robaxin has gained many positive responses from its consumers.
Other similar muscle relaxers apart from soma and Robaxin are methocarbamol, cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), Metaxalone (Skelaxin), Tizanidine (Zanaflex), diazepam, chlorzoxazone etc.
Tramadol is an Opioid pain medication prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain usually experienced after a surgery or treatment.
Just like soma it also affects the Central Nervous System.
Tramadol is found to be more effective in reducing surgical pain and cancer pain.