Robaxin is a brand name for Methocarbamol. It was first introduced in the US in 1957 and is typically prescribed to treat muscle spasms and pain.
Over time, Methocarbamol is effective in treating various conditions that involve muscle spasms, such as; back pain, neck pain, and certain neurological disorders.
A Brief On Robaxin
Robaxin medication is prescribed for short-term use to treat acute muscle pain and discomfort. It can be utilized along with other treatments and physical therapy.
It is a prescription medication, but Methocarbamol is not a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) enforced by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
How Does Robaxin Work?
The exact mechanism of methocarbamol is not yet fully understood. Researchers think that Robaxin works by blocking the connection of pain sensation between nerves and the brain. This result in muscle relaxant and give instant relief from muscle pain and spasms.
Methocarbamol has no direct effect on skeletal muscle, and the reason behind the instant pain relief is the sedative effect of this medicine.
Usages Of Robaxin
As mentioned above, Robaxin (methocarbamol) is a muscle relaxant medication used to treat acute musculoskeletal conditions such as; muscle spasms or pain caused by injury or trauma. It works by depressing the CNS, which leads to relaxing muscles and decreasing muscle pain.
Robaxin prescribes for On-Label use and maybe some time for Off-Label use too:
Muscle pain and spasms: Robaxin is most commonly used to provide relief from the muscle pain caused by strains, sprains, and injury
Tetanus: Robaxin may be used with other medicines to manage Tetanus, a severe bacterial infection that causes muscle spasms and discomfort.
Surgery: Robaxin may be used to reduce muscle spasms during surgery
Robaxin For Back pain: Robaxin may be used Off label to treat back pain with a combination of other pain medications.
Robaxin For Fibromyalgia: Robaxin may be used Off label for the treatment of Fibromyalgia—a condition caused by widespread musculoskeletal pain and tiredness.
Robaxin For Headache: Robaxin may be used off-label to treat headaches because of its sedative and relaxing effects.
Does Robaxin Help With Anxiety?
Robaxin is not specially manufactured to treat Anxiety, as it is a muscle relaxer and also a central Nervous System Depressant it can be used to treat anxiety at a low scale. We can say it as an another usage of the medicine
However, it's important to consult your healthcare provider before using Robaxin for anxiety.
Dosages Of Robaxin
Adults: three tablets of 500 mg or two tablets of 750 mg (total dose of 1500 mg) four times a day. Your doctor may change your dose as needed.
Children: Your doctor must determine the use and dose.
Forms And Strengths Of Robaxin
Precautions To Be Taken For Robaxin
Before taking Robaxin, it is important to inform about your health condition, current medication, and any allergies to your healthcare provider. They may determine whether Robaxin is safe for you to use or not.
Some precautions to follow when using Robaxin include
- Allergic reactions: if you have allergies to Methocarbamol or any other ingredient in Robaxin, you should not take this medication.
- Liver or kidney problems: Robaxin (Methocarbamol) may be metabolized in the liver and excreted by the kidneys. So your healthcare provider may prescribe a low dose for you and closely monitor your condition.
- Respiratory problems: Robaxin may cause respiratory depression or breathing problems. So it's not recommended to take Robaxin if you ha respiratory problems.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Robaxin, while pregnancy and breastfeeding are not thoroughly studied. So you should consult your doctor before taking Robaxin while pregnant and breastfeeding.
- Alcohol and other central nervous system dependence: Robaxin and alcohol will have dangerous effects on central nervous systems (CNS). Depressants, such as benzodiazepines or opioids, which can increase the risk of Methocarbamol side effects, such as drowsiness, dizziness, or respiratory depression.
Side Effects Of Robaxin
Like every medication, Robaxin also has some side effects:
|Common Side Effects||Severe Side Effects|
|Double Vision||Jaundice (Yellowing Of Your Skin Or Eyes).|
|Stomach Upset||Slow Heart Rate|
|Nausea||Feeling Like You Might Pass Out|
Interactions Of Robaxin
Robaxin may interact with other medications or substances. Which can affect the effectiveness of the medication and may cause serious health issues;
Here are some examples of the potential interaction;
- Anticholinergic drugs: Robaxin may block the effects of anticholinergic drugs used to treat certain conditions, such as asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Blood thinners: Robaxin may enhance the risk of bleeding while taking it with a blood thinner such as warfarin
- Central nervous system depressants: Robaxin may increase the sedative effect of alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, opioids, and other drugs that affect the central nervous system (CNS). This can lead to extreme drowsiness, confusion, difficulty breathing, and other health issues.
- Drugs that affect kidney function: Robaxin is excreted in the urine, so the drugs that affect kidney function may affect the mechanism of Robaxin and cause serious side effects.
- Drugs that affect liver function: Robaxin may be metabolized in the liver, so drugs that affect liver function may affect Robaxin's effectiveness and may cause drug abuse side effects.
Can You Buy Robaxin Online?
Yes, you can buy Robaxin (Methocarbamol) online, but a prescription from a certified doctor is mandatory to buy Robaxin online from a legal pharmacy.
Many online pharmacies and websites sell Robaxin without a prescription, But these pharmacies and websites may be illegal and sell fake Robaxin. So buying Robaxin from a certified pharmacy and websites with a proper prescription is important.
There are many FDA-certified pharmacies where the cost of Robaxin is low, and their service is fast compared to others.
Can You Buy Robaxin Over The Counter?
No, Robaxin is a prescription medication unavailable over the counter. You need a proper prescription from a licensed healthcare provider to purchase Robaxin. However, in some countries, Robaxin may be available over the counter without a prescription. It is best to check with your local pharmacy or healthcare provider to determine if Robaxin is available over the counter in the US.
As mentioned above, Robaxin is a prescription muscle relaxant medication for treating acute muscle pain and discomfort. Even though it is not a controlled substance, it may potentially cause addiction and dependence. So use it according to the prescription given by your doctor.