In the year 1959, a drug was approved by the United States for medical use to treat musculoskeletal pain. The drug was called Carisoprodol, sold under the brand name Soma. the drug should not be used over three weeks. Later on, in 2008, Europe withdrew its approval. On the contrary, in 2017, Soma ranked 255th for being the most commonly sold drug in the United States with over 1 million prescriptions.
On the other hand, in the year 1963, opioid pain medication was patent and launched and launched in 1977 under the name “Tramal”. Tramadol was sold under the brand name Ultram, Zytram, Qdolo, and others. The drug is used to treat mild to critical pain in adults. It belongs to the drug group of Narcotic analgesics.
The blog will give you some insights into both drugs, including their similarities and dissimilarities. To know which drug is more effective, kindly read the full article.
Difference between Soma and Tramadol
- Soma comes in the form of tablets. Tramadol comes in the form of tablets, capsules, Extended-release, suspension, and Reconstituted.
- Total 334 drugs interact with Soma, with 26 major, 307 moderate, and one minor. Tramadol interacts with a total number of 543 drugs, with 294 major, 246 moderate, and three minors.
- The half-life of Soma is 2.5 hours of 12 hours. Tramadol’s half-life is 5-6 hours.
- The oral tablet of Soma costs $212.75 for 30 quantities. Tramadol oral tablet costs from $13.39- 34.43 for 100 quantities. The 50 mg of Tramadol cost is around $12 for the supply of 9 tablets. The prices also depend upon the pharmacy you visit.
Differences between their Uses and Mechanism
Soma is muscle relaxant medicine. It is jointly used with rest and physical therapy to treat the skeletal muscle conditions caused by strains, sprains, and injury. Soma works by affecting the communication among the nerves and the central nervous system. It produces a sense of calmness to relax muscles and relieve pain. No direct action on the skeletal muscle or neuromuscular junction has been observed.
Tramadol is the drug used to treat chronic and acute pain. It is allowed for the treatment of fibromyalgia as a secondary painkiller by the NHS. Tramadol acts on pain receptors in the central nervous system and the brain to prevent pain signals to the rest of the body. It further operates in your brain to stop you from sensing pain messages to ease the body and distance from the pain.
• A usual Carisoprodol adult dosage can go around 250 to 350 mg orally three times a day and at bedtime.
• The therapy can be up to 2-3 weeks.
• An unusual adult pain (17 years or older) dosage can go around 50 to 100 mg orally.
• The maximum dosage can go around- 300 mg per day.
The dosage information should not be compared and go against what your physician has prescribed to you. Dosage may vary from person to person, so it is recommended to follow your physician’s advice while dosing.
Side effects shared by both are drugs
Every drug endures some side effects. It depends on person to person and the amount of consumption. The side effects sometimes can be common, but they can be critical at times.
Common side effects-
- Muscle stiffness
- Fast heart rate
- Loss of coordination
The above list doesn’t consist of all the side effects. If you experience any other side effects, do not delay and visits your doctor. If any of the above side effects gets worsen or do not do away easily, kindly get in touch with your physician for further medical assistance.
Warnings and Precautions
- Never be on alcoholic beverages while on these medications.
- The drugs have the potent to make you sleepy, so make sure you do not work on any hazardous machinery.
- Take the drugs as prescribed. Do not overdose or abuse the medicines.
- If, in any case, you missed your dose, take it immediately but avoid if it is time for your next dose.
- Keep track of your dose as overuse can make you addicted.
- Do not discontinue taking the medicines; consult your doctor on how you can stop taking them safely.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding-
Soma: Soma falls into C Category. The drug can only be given to pregnant women if the health care provider believes that the benefit of the drug can over wright any risk.
Soma can inter into breast milk. There is no adequate study on how well the drug is effective. Hence, it should be only used under the supervision of medical experts only if necessary.
Tramadol: Similarly, for both pregnancy and breastfeeding, the drug is not recommended. It can be only used if your health care provider feels it is necessary, and the benefit can overweight any future risks.
In reality, premature ejaculation is a typical male sexual disorder that can be treated with the tramadol pill, a new study report. To help with discomfort, Tramadol has been included as a prescription for treating premature ejaculation. Soma vs. Tramadol, Tramadol is outstanding among other medications that can be used to relieve agony. However, it spends more than is recommended, and it can trigger a reaction that puts the individual at risk of becoming addicted.
Since both drugs have the same efficacy for different types of pain, Tramadol is the more affordable choice. Tramadol can also be considered a better treatment for moderate back pain than Carisoprodol, as it is believed that the treatment of moderate back pain lies between the two medications.
Carisoprodol/sodium oxybate/tramadol overdose. React. Wkly.1265, 12 (2009). https://doi.org/10.2165/00128415-200912650-00033
REEVES, R.R. & LIBERTO, V., 2001. Abuse of Combinations of Carisoprodol and Tramadol. Southern Medical Journal, 94(5), pp.512–514. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007611-200194050-00015.