Ibuprofen is the medication used to treat pain, fever, and inflammation. The drug was discovered in the year 1961 by Stewart Adams and John Nicholson. The drug is also listed in the World Health Organization’s Essential Medicines. The drug is manufactured by IOLCP, the only manufacturer of Ibuprofen in India.
Robaxin is a brand name of Methocarbamol. It is a medication used for the short-term treatment of musculoskeletal pain. It is used together with rest, physical therapy, and pain medication. It was adopted in the United States for medicinal usage in the year 1957. The drug is being manufactured by Unnati Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd from India. The medicine should be taken as directed by the doctor, but you can also purchase Robaxin online from a certified online pharmacy.
Studies have shown that methocarbamol and ibuprofen in combination are more effective than taking the two classes of drugs separately. In fact, it is not uncommon for health care providers to prescribe both together or do both at the same time. The combined effects of Robaxin and Ibuprofen work together because they release muscle tension and reduce pain and inflammation.
Use of Both the Medications
Ibuprofen is primarily used to treat fever. It is also used to tackle mild pain and may be used post-surgery. It also helps in relieving painful menstrual periods, migraines, rheumatoid arthritis, dental pain, and kidney stones.
Robaxin is used to manage a variety of musculoskeletal conditions like bone fractures, tendinitis, osteoarthritis, and many more.
Dosages and Side effects include
Usual adult dose for muscle spasm-
• Mild symptoms- 1 g IV or IM once, then switch to oral.
• Severe symptoms or postoperative conditions: 1 g IV or IM every 8 hours.
• Maximum Dose can go around 3 g in 24-hours
• The maximum period can be 3 consecutive days; it may recur after a drug-free interim of 48 hours.
Side effects shared by both the drugs-
The Differences between Ibuprofen and Robaxin
- Ibuprofen works by reducing the hormones that cause inflammation in the body. Robaxin works by blocking the pain sensations that are sent to the brain.
- Ibuprofen comes under the drug class called “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs” and Robaxin comes under the drug class called “Skeletal muscle relaxants”.
- The average cost of Ibuprofen 30 tablets of 800 mg cost may be around $11.99 and the price of Robaxin for 20 quantities costs around $80.72.
- Ibuprofen comes in the form of an oral capsule, oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet, and chewable on the other hand Robaxin comes in the form of Injection and tablets.
Warnings and Precautions
- Ibuprofen can enhance the uncertainty of fatal heart attack or stroke. Do not utilize this medication just before or after a heart bypass operation.
- Do not take any of the medications if you are allergic to them.
- Before using Robaxin, inform your doctor if you have myasthenia gravis.
- Take the amount of medication to what your health care experts have advised you. Do not overdose or abuse the drugs.
- Robaxin can impair your thinking so, make sure you do not involve in any activity that demands mental alertness.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages while on the medications.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
The drugs are not recommended for either of the activity. If the physician feels that benefit of the medicine can overweight the risk, in that case, only the medicine should be given to the pregnant women. Similarly, if the medicine is given when breastfeeding, the infant should be observed for any changes.
Your health care provider may prescribe a comparatively lower dosage of both medications for added effectiveness. If the drugs do not show positive results, visit your health care provider. Your physician may give you another medicine or may change the quantity of dosage.
Do not stop the medication on your own it may cause withdrawal symptoms, always consult your health care service provider if you have any doubts regarding the drugs.