The World Health Organization states 10% of the worldwide population has experienced seizures during their lifetime. One of the oldest known conditions humans face. About 80 percent of people with epilepsy live in middle-income countries. To put it into numbers, 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy. The reasons can be varied from person to person, thus making it a globally common neurological disease.
Many medicines and methods have been developed since the dawn of medical science. Gabapentin is one such medicine available in an oral format. Other forms can be known worldwide and are primarily used in treating seizures, postherpetic neuralgia, and other neurological conditions. It is a widely prescribed anticonvulsant drug for treatment, available with a prescription.
A Brief On Gabapentin
Gabapentin comes under the drug class called an anticonvulsant. These drug classes are commonly referred to as anti-epileptic or anti-seizure medicines. Gabapentin helps treat seizures and post-therapeutic neuralgia and is also prescribed in other mental-related treatments in some cases. One of the most widely used medicines in the West. It is also known as Neurontin commonly, though the brand names can differ.
As per Wikipedia, it is also mainly prescribed for its off-label uses like sleep, anxiety, headaches, and muscle pain. The on-label depends on prescription, whereas the off-label is when the doctor feels the condition can be covered by medicine.
How Gabapentin Works?
Gabapentin mechanisms are entirely based on the GABA neurotransmitters. It alters the signals or the GABA neurotransmitters. It inhibits the electrical nerve impulses discharged from peripheral nerves. In epilepsy, Gabapentin stops seizures by reducing abnormal electrical activity in the brain. It changes or alters how the pain is sent to the brain, and the user can get relaxation after using it.
Usages Of Gabapentin
Uses of medicine are divided into two types: label and off-label. Below is detailed information about gabapentin usage
On-label: On-label usage is the preferred utilization of the medicine, in simpler terms, the issues for what the treatment is made for.
Gabapentin on label use consists of:
- Postherpetic Neuralgia
- Partial Onset Seizures
Off-label Uses: Off-label uses are not FDA-approved. Some medicine can cure or be used for other issues; hence a doctor can prescribe its off-label use if it helps heal.
Gabapentin Off label use consists of the following:
- Neck pain.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post-traumatic stress
- Muscle Relaxer
- Back Pain
Does Gabapentin Help With Nerve Pain?
The FDA licenses Gabapentin to treat nerve pain (neuropathic pain) caused by the herpes virus and shingles. Gabapentin can be used to alleviate nerve pain, known as neuralgia (which occurs when a nerve is damaged).
Nerve pain, also known as neuropathic pain, occurs when a health condition or issue affects the sensation-carrying nerves of the brain. Gabapentin heals nerve pain by altering the signals.
It also aids in treating diabetic neuropathy caused by nerve damage in the foot. Gabapentin can be used to treat both severe and chronic pain.
Forms And Strength Of Gabapentin
100mg, 200mg, 250mg
Dosages Of Gabapentin
Adult (18-64 years)
Day2- 600mg (300mg per dose)
Day 3- 900 mg (300mg per dose) (3 times)
Max Dose- 600 mg per dose (1800 mg per day)
Child (0-17 years)
Children should not be given Gabapentin
Senior citizen (65+)
Dosage will be prescribed as per the doctor’s observation.
Dosage (Partial On-set Of Seizures)
Adult (18-64 years)
900mg (300mg per dose)
Max dose- 2400 mg- 3600mg per day
Child (12-17 years)
900mg (300mg per dose)
Continuity Of Dose
900mg – 1800mg (divided into 3 times a day)
2400 mg- 3600 mg per day
Child (3-11 years)
10mg-15mg per day
Child (0-2 years)
There is no dosage recommended
Senior Citizen (65+)
Dosage will be prescribed as per the doctor's observation
Precautions To Be Taken For Gabapentin
- Read the package directions carefully.
- Take medicine precisely as the doctor has instructed.
- Neurontin was taken with or without meals. If you have a sensitive stomach, try it with meals.
- If Gabapentin breaks in half, consume it within a few days.
- Use a measuring instrument to take the liquid medicine, and avoid using a kitchen spoon.
- Do not abruptly discontinue the therapy.
- Avoid tasks that will need a lot of energy.
- An antacid should consume two hours before taking Gabapentin.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Gabapentin.
- If you are prone to kidney issues, see a doctor before using Gabapentin.'
- Suffering with Depression
- Having Liver Problems
- Suffering from a cardiac condition
Side Effects Of Gabapentin
|Common Side Effects
|Severe Side Effects
|Weakness in your body
|Throat and tongue getting swollen
|Skin reactions (Rashes)
To know more about dosages and overdosages of gabapentin click on the link.
Interactions Of Gabapentin
- Ethacrynic acid
- Magnesium oxide
Can You Buy Gabapentin Online?
Medicines are available online or even delivered to your doorstep. The convenience of buying medicine has got a new boost with the advent of the internet market. It is easy, fast, and safe.
One of the reasons to buy Gabapentin online is the urgency of the requirement to be fulfilled instantly. In terms of Safety, it is now uncomplicated to identify the legitness and security of the website.
Below are Some Guidelines about how you can buy Gabapentin online with easiness and Safety:
- Always Check the website starts with https, not HTTP. Https identifies the website as a security layer or certificate.
- You can check reviews in Trustpilot for impartial and unbiased reviews for clearance.
- Know about your rights through consumer courts of your state.
- Check for legal certifications like Legal script, FDA-approved medications seal, and Registered number.
- If the search engine result is redirecting to other sites, Avoid It!
- Check the payment options like Paypal, swipe, and others.
- Check their return or refund policies and read the *T&C.
How Can You Buy Gabapentin Online?
- Its simple and easy-to-handle options make it easy to navigate.
- Search through the search bar and select the form, strength, and quantity.
- Remember to check the offers and rewards present on it.
- Drop your delivery address, contact no, and alternate no.
- Select the payment system and proceed.
- Check the expected delivery date and get the contact number
- If there are any doubts, there are also other options like live chat, call for grievances, questions, etc.
Can You Get Gabapentin Over The Counter?
The counter Or OTC are the medicines available to buy without a prescription. It is readily available and primarily for treating joint to medium issues. As Gabapentin is available with a prescription, accepting it as an OTC drug is impossible. Although if you had a prescription, you could get it. Thus You cannot buy Gabapentin over the counter.
Gabapentin is an epitome solution for Nerve pain. One of the widely prescribed anticonvulsant medicines. There are also several off-label uses of Gabapentin; you can even choose from several brands like Neurontin, granite, and others. Always watch out for the sites or the pharmacy stores before buying Gabapentin online and offline.