Flexeril is the brand name for Cyclobenzaprine. It is a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant as well as a tricyclic antidepressant. Flexeril can be purchased over the counter as it is not a controlled substance and does not cause any psychoactive effects on its own.
The medication is manufactured by Merck & Co. Inc., located at West Point in the United States. It is largely distributed and marketed by McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals at Fort Washington.
Mechanism of Flexeril
Flexeril and Soma belongs to a class of medications known as muscle relaxants. The exact mechanism of the medication is not fully known. However, research till date suggests Flexeril relaxes muscles by reducing muscle hyperactivity by acting on both alpha and gamma motor systems (nerve fibers that directly connect with skeletal muscles and are responsible for muscle contraction).
It works by blocking nerve impulses sent by your brain to the rest of your body, thus diminishing the pain sensations. Flexeril will not reduce muscle spasms caused by central nervous system (CNS) disease, such as epilepsy or cerebral palsy. It is also chemically similar to tricyclic antidepressants. Cyclic
Antidepressants ease depression by affecting neurotransmitters. Like most antidepressants, cyclic antidepressants work by ultimately affecting changes in brain chemistry and communication in brain nerve cell circuitry known to regulate mood to help relieve depression.
Forms and strength
For most patients, the recommended dose of Flexeril is 5 mg instant release tablets three times a day. Based on individual patient responses, the dose may be increased to 7.5 or 10 mg.
15mg extended-release capsules are to be consumed once a day. The dose may be increased to 30mg.
Consumption of FLEXERIL for periods longer than two to three weeks is not recommended.
Note – Less frequent dosing should is advised for geriatric or hepatically impaired patients.
Uses of Flexeril
- It may be used for short-term relief of muscle spasms associated with acute musculoskeletal conditions without interfering with muscle function.
- The sedative properties of Flexeril can help people suffering from insomnia sleep.
- Due to its sedative properties, it can be used to treat depression as it is a tricyclic antidepressant derivative.
- Flexeril has not yet been associated with addiction or abuse (by itself).
Along with its needed effects, cyclobenzaprine (the active ingredient contained in Flexeril) may cause some unwanted effects such as:
- Dryness of mouth
- Blurred vision
- Perspiration, etc., are some of the common side effects. If the severity of these side effects increases or any other effects that are not mentioned above arises, get professional medical assistance immediately.
- Do not use the medicine if you are allergic to any of it’s ingredients. The products may contain some allergic ingredients, causing serious allergic reactions or other problems. Discuss with your doctor before using the drug.
- Inform your doctor about your medical history, especially if you have liver disease, overactive thyroid, heart problems, difficulty urinating, or glaucoma.
- Flexeril can make you sleepy, so don’t participate in tasks that may need constant a lot of focus or attention.
- Consuming alcohol or cannabis can make you dizzier or drowsier.
- Do not drive or operate any machinery that demands you to be mentally alert under the influence of Flexeril as it increases the risk of accidents or falls.
- There may be a possibility of extra sensitivity to the drug in older adults.
Flexeril during Pregnancy and Lactation
There is not sufficient research on the use of Flexeril and Carisoprodol in pregnant women. However, studies in animals indicate no significant effects on the foetus.
It is not known whether Flexeril is secreted in milk during lactation. However, since the drug is closely related to tricyclic antidepressants, some of which are excreted in breast milk, caution is advised while using this.
The precautions may vary, and there may be some additions to the list as well. It is recommended to address your doubts and queries to your healthcare provider.
Can You Buy Flexeril Online?
Flexeril is a medication that cannot be purchased over the counter in the United States. Because of potential negative interaction with other drugs and certain medical conditions, you can buy Flexeril online or from a legitimate physical pharmacy outlet only using an authentic doctor’s prescription.