Flexeril is a medication used to treat muscle spasms from musculoskeletal conditions. The generic name of the drug is Cyclobenzaprine. It comes under the drug class called Skeletal muscle relaxants. FDA approved it in the year 1977 for medical purposes in the United States.
Flexeril is a muscle relaxant drug used to treat conditions related to skeletal muscle, such as pain, injury, or spasms. Flexeril works by blocking the pain sensations that are sent to your brain. Once the pain sensations are blocked on the way, the body starts feeling a sense of relief from the pain.
Flexeril is only available in the form of tablets of 5mg and 10 mg each. Most patients are recommended with a 5 mg of dose thrice a day. Based on patients’ condition and response, the dosage can be increased to 10 mg three times a day.
The dosage completely depends upon an individual’s health condition, age, gender, and medical history. Follow your doctor’s instructions while dosing.
Flexeril and Weight Gain
Muscle relaxers like Carisoprodol and Flexeril depress your central nervous system and slow down many of the processes that make your body function. The medicine is generally prescribed for the short term of around 5-7 days.
Short-term use of these medications can begin a slight weight gain of 2 to 3 lbs. as you lessen your activities to recover from your injury. Prolong use or abuse of these medicines can provoke more significant weight gain as you remain to undergo a decrease in your overall physical activities.
Can Muscle Relaxers cause Weight Gain?
Side Effects of Flexeril
Flexeril carries some side effects too. The side effects can be sometimes general and can be dangerous too. It is good to know all the side effects to take proper care of. Common side effects:
- Dry mouth.
- Upset stomach
Get medical assistance if you have allergic reactions like- hives, difficult breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using the drug if you undergo side effects like:
- Fast or irregular heartbeats
- Chest pain or pressure, pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Sudden numbness or weakness, slurred speech, balance problems.
The above-mentioned is not the complete list of the side effects. If you are experiencing anything apart from the side effects mentioned, do not hesitate to visit your health care service provider.
- Flexeril should not be used if your thyroid disorder, heart block, congestive heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, or you have recently had a heart attack.
- Do not consume if you have taken MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days.
- Brief your physician about your health condition, especially if you have a thyroid disorder, heart block, heart rhythm disorder, congestive heart failure, or recently had a heart attack.
- The safety of the medicine has not been established for people under 15 years old.
- Avoid taking alcohol while on these medications.
Flexeril is the muscle relaxant. The drug helps people who are undergoing any muscle problems. Studies show that the drug can be the reason for the weight gain in your body, and it causes weight gain in the person taking the drug.
Always consult your doctor regarding any of the information, our physician is the best person to solve all your queries and support you in any health situation.