Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone) was first approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1958 for the treatment of muscle pain, discomfort, and muscle-related conditions. The drug was manufactured by McNeil laboratories, which is now a part of Johnson and Johnson.
Approximately 230,000 prescriptions of Chlorzoxazone were written in the US in the year 2017. It is widely prescribed because of its fast and effective effects.
A Short Brief Of Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone)
Lorzone is the brand name of Chlorzoxazone. It is prescribed for short-term use to treat acute muscle pain and spasms. If taken in large dose it can be addictive, sometimes Chlorzoxazone is also disguised as narcotic but it is not. You cannot use Chlorzoxazone without a prescription. It may not suit your conditions and may cause side effects such as respiratory depression and liver damage. So it's important to note you should not use Chlorzoxazone without your healthcare provider's guidance and prescriptions.
Compared to Carisoprodol and Methocarbamol. Chlorzoxazone has a lower risk of causing sedation and drowsiness. However, Chlorzoxazone can also cause drowsiness and sedation. So do not increase the dose or duration of the medication.
How Does Chlorzoxazone Work?
Chlorzoxazone gives instant relief from pain by affecting the pain sensation connection between the nerve and the brain. It works on the central nervous system and muscle fibers, which helps to relax muscles.
Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone) specifically works on skeletal muscle fibers, which are responsible for voluntary movement. It works by affecting the reflex arc in the spinal cord, which slows down the firing of the motor neurons and ultimately reduces spasticity.
Usages Of Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone)
As mentioned above, Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone) is a short medication used to treat acute muscle pain and discomfort caused by a musculoskeletal condition.
In Additional, here are some On-label and Off-label uses of Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone)
- Muscle spasms: Chlorzoxazone is typically prescribed to treat muscle pain caused by the condition, such as; sprains, strains, and other musculoskeletal injuries.
- Musculoskeletal pain: Chlorzoxazone can also be used to relieve muscle pain and discomfort caused by back pain, neck pain, and Fibromyalgia.
- Clebelary palsy: Chlorzoxazone is used to treat muscle tone and stiffness caused by Clebelary palsy.
- Multiple sclerosis: chlorzoxazone may be used to treat muscle spasms and pain associated with multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord injuries: Chlorzoxazone may help to treat muscle pain and spasms caused by Spinal cord injuries.
Using Chlorzoxazone for any off-label use is not recommended with your doctor's advice. Off-label use refers to using medication for a purpose other than the FDA-approved indication.
Here are some Off-label uses of Chlorzoxazone:
- Fibromyalgia: Chlorzoxazone may be used off-label to treat muscle pain and discomfort caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Chronic myofascial pain: Chlorzoxazone may prescribe off-label to treat chronic Myofascial pain.
- Spasticity associated with cerebral palsy: Chlorzoxazone has been used for Spasticity in children with cerebral palsy.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder: chlorzoxazone may be prescribed off-label to treat muscle spasms and pain associated with Temporomandibular joint disorder.
Is Chlorzoxazone Used During Pregnancy Or While Lactation?
Muscle relaxers while pregnant or breastfeeding has been widely discussed. As per the sources Chlorzoxazone use in pregnancy and lactation has not yet been studied for its effect on the same. Although it is only preferred when the medicine actually has useful benefits rather than side effects. The doctor is the advisory person in this case.
Forms And Strengths Of Chlorzoxazone
250mg/ 500mg/ 750mg
Dosages Of Chlorzoxazone
Adults: 500 mg three or four times a day. Your healthcare provider may adjust your dose
Children: Your doctor must determine the use and dose.
Precautions To Be Taken For Chlorzoxazone
Take as directed by your doctor. Do not take more or less than the prescribed amount or use more than the prescribed duration.
- Avoid alcohol: alcohol can increase the sedative effects of chlorzoxazone in the body and may cause extreme dizziness or drowsiness.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after using Chlorzoxazone because it may make you drowsy.
- Inform your doctor about your health condition and the medication you are currently taking or before using Flexeril. Flexeril may interact with certain medications and medical conditions.
- Do not crush or chew the tablet. Shallow the Chlorzoxazone tablet whole with a glass of water. Cruising and chewing the tablet may lead you toward serious side effects.
- Report to your doctor immediately if you experience any side effects while taking Chlorzoxazone, such as rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, and seek immediate medical attention.
Side Effects Of Chlorzoxazone
Chlorzoxazone can cause a range of side effects which can vary from person to person;
|Common Side Effects||Serious Side Effects|
|Drowsiness||Allergic reactions, including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, hives, or difficulty breathing|
|Dizziness||Seizures or convulsions|
|Headache||Liver problems, including jaundice, abdominal pain, or dark urine|
|Upset stomach||Blood disorders, including anemia or decreased white blood cell count|
|Nausea or vomiting||Chest pain or shortness of breath|
|Diarrhea or constipation||Changes in mood or behavior, such as confusion, hallucinations, or depression|
Interactions Of Chlorzoxazone
Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone) may interact with other medications and substances, which may affect the effectiveness of Metaxalone and may cause serious side effects.
- Central nervous depressant: taking metaxalone with other medication that depresses the central nervous system, such as opioids, benzodiazepines, or alcohol, can increase the risk of drowsiness, dizziness, and difficulty breathing.
- CYP2E1 inhibitors: Chlorzoxazone is metabolized by the enzyme in the liver. Drugs that inhibit this enzyme, such as cimetidine, can lower the clearance of Chlorzoxazone and enhance its concentration in the blood, leading to potential toxicity.
- Warfarin: Chlorzoxazone can enhance the anticoagulant effect of warfarin, which can raise the risk of bleeding
- Antidepressants: Chlorzoxazone can interact with certain antidepressant medications, such as tricyclic antidepressants, and enhance the risk of the side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- Other muscle relaxants: Chlorzoxazone can increase the effects of other muscle relaxants medication and increase the risk of side effects.
Can You Buy Chlorzoxazone 500Mg?
Yes, you can buy Chlorzoxazone online from a certified pharmacy, but a prescription from the certified Doctor is mandatory to buy Chlorzoxazone online.
There are a few things you need to note before buying Chlorzoxazone online.
- Purchase from an FDA-approved pharmacy
- Check whether the physical address and phone number listed on the website are genuine.
- A licensed pharmacist is available to answer any questions you may have.
- A prescription requirement for the medication. If they don't ask for a prescription, it may be an illegal pharmacy, or they may sell a fake product.
- To avoid the risk of fake products, buy Chlorzoxazone offline by showing the proper prescription.
There is another name for Chlorzoxazone called as White pill wpi 3968.
Can You Buy Chlorzoxazone Over The Counter?
No, Chlorzoxazone (Lorzone) is a prescription medication unavailable over the counter. You need a proper prescription from a licensed healthcare provider to purchase Chlorzoxazone. Many pharmacies may sell Chlorzoxazone without a prescription, but it may be unsafe.
As mentioned above, Chlorzoxazone is a short medication used for muscle spasms and discomfort. Prescription is mandatory to buy Chlorzoxazone online from a certified pharmacy.
Remember, do not increase the Dosage or duration of the Chlorzoxazone. Uses it according to the prescription given by your doctor.