Muscle pain has been a prominent part of the human lifecycle. Muscles are made up of various tissues and layers, generally, a protective covering to the body’s skeletal structure. Sometimes due to several reasons, these muscles generate pain. At that time, a muscle relaxer plays a vital role in calming those tissues.
The generic name Carisoprodol, commonly known as Soma, is a skeletal muscle relaxant that relaxes painful muscles and gives the user a sense of relief. For your information, it is the best short treatment to treat muscle pain. It simply blocks the pain senses from reaching the brain by its sedation method and thus drops the pain. The use of Soma is simple and is also used for many types of musculoskeletal pain. There are also various brands of Soma (Carisoprodol) available in the market.
Things To Know Before Using Soma (Carisoprodol)
As per guidelines from the expert and prescribers, Soma is only used for Muscle pain. Although there might be off-label uses while using Soma, some important information can be useful for you. As details about medicine can help you in relieving the pain.
As a muscle relaxer, Soma has a sedative effect that can create a euphoric feeling. Hence it should be used as per the prescribed dose and with full rest.
There are chances of fatal accidents due to sedative effects, so consume when you do not have any mental alertness activity.
People undergoing conditions such as heart diseases, kidney or liver issues, alcoholism or any other addiction should take expert advice before using it.
Pregnant ladies or breastfeeders should also use it with caution.’
Soma is Used In Musculoskeletal Pain
We already know Soma is mainly used for relieving Musculoskeletal pain. The term musculoskeletal is vast. Let’s make it simple to understand; muscle pain is caused by reasons like strains, injuries, bruises, accidents etc.
These situations ignite pain-producing elements, and the senses help to feel the pain. Muscle pain affects bone, ligaments and joints, and Soma heals all the pain related to muscle in the body. Let’s see the uses.
Types of Musculoskeletal Soma (Carisoprodol) Helps In Healing.
- Bone: Bone pain can be caused by injuries which can create prolonged pain. There are stances of bone pain caused by musculoskeletal pain. Soma can help in the short term in relieving bone pain.
- Joint: The joints are constantly in motion. Sometimes fatal accidents create pain. Soma, with its pain relieving properties, can help in decreasing joint pain.
- Ligament: Ligaments are directly associated with muscles, an integrated part of musculoskeletal pain. The sedative and pain blocking method is helpful for pain relief.
- Arthritis: Soma is helpful in arthritis pain and has been proved by a proper study. The results stated improvement in relief from the pain caused by Arthritis.
- Neck Pain: Neck muscles are continuously in a working motion, impact due to situations resulting in stiffness and pain. Soma relaxes the muscles through its sense blocking method and can give you a nice calming effect on neck pain.
- Headaches: Headaches are considered mental pain. Although headaches are started due to the muscle tensions and stiffness in various muscle areas of the skull, these tissues are relaxed and unstiffened by the Soma, thus used in headaches.
- Back Pain : Soma successfully calms low acute back pain; back muscles are the strongest muscles in the body; Soma helps in muscle spasm of the back and cuts out the pain senses that pass signals to the brain through sedating CNS.
- Neuropathic pain (Nerve Pain): Soma is not openly associated with first-line nerve pain treatment. Soma inhibits the pain signal messages between the nerve or CNS and the brain; hence it can be used to calm nerve pain for a short while.
- Tendonitis: Tendonitis is acute pain in tendons and thick cord connecting muscles to bone. Tendon pain has many reasons like sports injuries, accidents, and fatal accidents. Soma acts as a pain reliever and slows down the pain feeling. It can be used under guidance for Tendonitis.
- Bursitis: Bursitis is a painful musculoskeletal condition. Bursa is a cushion that helps to create less friction between the joints. When these become inflamed or painful due to overuse of injured parts, it can lead to extreme pain. Soma, as a muscle relaxer, helps to relax those impacted muscles, especially on shoulders or other joints and resolves pain.
- Fibromyalgia: The diagnosis of Fibromyalgia is not fixed. It is still a mystery. However, it is a painful musculoskeletal condition which can create nuance and extreme pain all over the body. As the cure is unavailable, the range of pain can be decreased by Soma(Carisoprodol) to some extent.
- Leg cramps: Leg cramps pain is successfully relieved through a well-performed study. Leg cramps are associated with the ligaments, and muscles quickly relieve pain with SomaSoma.
There might be other uses you have heard of. Remember, your dose should be prescribed.
On label or Off label Uses Of Soma (Carisoprodol)
On-label use and off-label use, soma medication too have on and off label uses. On-label uses are FDA approved and mainly used for determining conditions or pain. Off-Label uses are not approved for the conditions. Still, they are prescribed by doctors because they feel this medicine can be used for it. Just As below
- Migraine: Soma is usually not prescribed as a prominent treatment for migraines. Soma has soothing properties, which can release the tension in the head muscles, and a drowsy effect gives good sleep. Hence, it can be said that Soma for migraines can be a good choice. However, due to its addictive properties, it is dosed with great caution.
- Anxiety: Soma for anxiety is generally not prescribed by any medical experts. The off-label use can be due to sedation of the head and neck also nerves connected that cause stress and relaxation and thus indirectly help in anxiety.
Uses Of Soma (Carisoprodol) In Specific Populations
Although we know Soma has many uses, as it is prescribed medicine, they are given according to a properly specified population to use it safely and effectively.
- Pediatric Use: Use of Soma at an age less than 16 years is not prescribed and not guided to use.
- Geriatric Use: People over 65 years of age are also not prescribed due to the sedative effect and chances of accidents, and their bodies are undergoing many other conditions.
- Renal Impaired Peoples: Kidney excretes the Soma. Further, those people who are undergoing renal diseases should use Soma with caution.
- Hepatic Impaired Peoples: The liver helps in the metabolization of Carisoprodol; hence, when you are undergoing liver conditions, Soma is hardly prescribed by the expert.
- Liver Enzyme Reduction Condition (CYP2C19 Activity): The liver and metabolization are related. Special care has to be taken.
- Pregnant Ladies (Category C): The FDA segregates meds based on safety for use during pregnancy into five categories, i.e., A, B, C, D, and X, to distinguish the dangers to an unborn baby when a medicine is taken during pregnancy. Carisoprodol falls into category C. Therefore, Carisoprodol is not recommended during pregnancy; it is used only if your provider thinks so.
- Breastfeeding: New mothers should not use Carisoprodol. A study shows sleepiness in newborn infants, which can also harm the baby.
How Should Soma (Carisoprodol) Be Properly Used?
Any medicine used according to the doctor will be practical and helpful to the health. Below are the points that will assist you in consuming Soma properly.
- According to the FDA, Soma is available only on prescription from a licensed and certified health expert or institution due to its abuse and addiction.
- There is primary, and general information about the dose of Soma 250 mg and Soma 350mg is the usual dose for it.
- It can be taken with or without food or even on an empty stomach.
- Don’t ever try alcohol with Soma or any other antidepressants.
- Don’t take the missed dose to cover up the same. It can throw you into sedation or a heavy drowsy state and even overdose.
- Soma is a harsh treatment which lasts about 2 to 3 weeks.
- The oral route is the best way possible to consume Soma.
- Do not Snort Soma. It will be abused.
How To Store Soma (Carisoprodol) Properly?
- Keep Out of reach of children
- Place it in a cool and dry place.
- In case of refilling, a DEA registered practitioner pharmacy can fill only if you are backed by prescription.
Special Information For Patient (Info like its sedative effect, drug dependence avoidance, combination avoidance, when to see the doctor)
- Don’t try to mix alcohol with Soma
- There is a possibility of drug dependency and addiction.
- Soma can cause sedation which is part of the medicine but should not be used for recreational purposes.
- Soma is a short-term treatment that should not continue further without the official notification from your prescriber.
- If you feel you are addicted to SOMA, you can contact a doctor or check out several rehabilitation centres.
When Should You Stop Using Soma?
Stopping stoma in a stance is harmful as you are dependent up to a bit. If you find yourself in heavy drowsiness, lack of focus, unable to walk, diarrhea, weakness and other side effects of Soma , you should immediately see a doctor or call emergency health services. CALL 911.
Soma is a muscle relaxer and an effective invention to heal the pain that halts our daily life. It is a calming product due to the sedative property it contains.
With effective healing, it handles most of the musculoskeletal pain in a short time; however, it must be dealt with caution, especially in particular ages, cases, conditions, etc. So handle and Consume it with care, and don’t forget your health expert guidance.