Soma is the brand name for the prescription drug carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant that has sedative properties that dampen the central nervous system. Doctors often prescribe Soma in conjunction with rest and physical therapy to relieve muscle tension and pain associated with injuries such as sprains and strains. The drug was approved in the year 1959 in the United States for medical purposes.
Valium was patented in the year 1959 by Hoffmann-La Roche. The drug was one of the most frequently prescribed medications in the world since its launch. It is recorded in the World Health Organization’s List of Essential medicine.
The blog will give you analytical data about Soma and Valium.
What are the Key Differences between Soma vs Valium
- Soma is used for muscle and joint pain. At the same time, Valium is used for multiple purposes like anxiety, seizures, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, muscle spasms, insomnia, and restless legs syndrome.
- Soma comes in the form of tablets. Valium comes in a variety of dosage forms like tablets, oral solution, rectal gel, injectable solution, and intramuscular devices.
- The lowest price for Soma is $6.78, and for Valium, the lowest cost is $6.74 (depending upon the pharmacy).
- Valium injection starts acting in just 1 to 5 minutes. On the other hand, Soma takes at least 30 minutes to start acting.
- Soma helps relax the muscle, but Valium helps to relax you.
Difference between their Dosages
The usual adult dosage can go around 250 to 350 mg orally 3 times a day and at bedtime.
The duration of this therapy should be 2-3 weeks.
Valium is used for many purposes.
• For Management of Anxiety Disorders and Relief of Symptoms of Anxiety- Depends upon the severity of symptoms, the dosage can go around 2mg to 10 mg, 2-4 times a day.
• For Symptomatic Relief in Acute Alcohol Withdrawal- 10 mg, 3 or 4 times during the first 24 hours, reducing to 5 mg, 3 or 4 times daily as needed.
• For Adjunctively for Relief of Skeletal Muscle Spasm- 2 mg to 10 mg, 3 or 4 times daily.
• For Adjunctively in Convulsive Disorders- 2 mg to 10 mg, 2-4 times daily.
• For Geriatric Patients, or in the presence of debilitating disease- 2 mg to 2.5 mg, 1 or 2 times daily initially; increase steadily as required and tolerated.
The dosage should not be compared or go against what your healthcare provider has prescribed to it. Every person needs a different amount of dosage depending upon the person’s age, gender, medical conditions, etc.
Warnings of Soma vs Valium
- Inform your doctor about your past and current medical conditions, including which medications you are on.
- Never misuse or abuse any drugs, it can lead to addiction or adverse effects.
- The drugs are for a short period only. Do not extend the duration unless your doctor has told you to do so.
- Take the drug as prescribed by your health care professional. Always follow the physician’s advice.
- If in case you miss any dose, take it immediately but make sure it is not time for your next dose. Do not double dose.
- The drugs have the potent to make you feel sleepy, so avoid alcoholic beverages while on the medications and do not work on any hazardous machinery unless you feel you are fine to take the task.
- Do not discontinue taking the drugs on your own. If you want to stop the intake, first discuss with your physician, they will provide a safe way to reduce down the drugs.
For Pregnancy and Breast feeding
Soma is not recommended for pregnant women. It should be used only if the Gynaecologist feels that the benefit can out weight the possible risks.
Soma is Excreted into human milk. Like pregnancy, for breastfeeding, the drug is not recommended. If, in any case, it has been given, caution should be taken, and the infant should be monitored for signs of sedation.
The drug is not recommended for pregnancy and breastfeeding. It can be only used if the Gynaecologist believes that the benefit can overweight the possible risks. The infant should be kept under supervision for any changes.