Discovering facts and understanding the answers are the forte of human behaviour. It's the ignitor of development we are experiencing today. The health field itself is a curiosity generator. Generally, people find it boring due to the jargonic way, here you will find your answer clearly and concisely.
Gabapentin is a medicine commonly used to treat seizures and epilepsy problems. Isn't it easy to understand? Hope so. Now let's know it closely.
It is an Anticonsulvant drug because it treats seizures, and in most common terms, to understand it relieves nerve pain (Yasaei R, Katta S, Saadabadi A).
As per stats, in 2020, 46,043,168 prescriptions were made in the US, making the medication 11th most commonly used for seizures. Buy Gabapentin online from a certified online pharmacy.
Moving forward to the main topic:
How Does Gabapentin Work In Your System?
Gabapentin is available in tablets. After consumption, it reaches the digestive system, and then it is broken and absorbed into the bloodstream.
Gabapentin affects Neurotransmitters called GABA, which then influence the message sent to the nerve cells and brain. Thus, the drowsy effect surpasses the pain (Yasaei R, Katta S, Saadabadi A).
How Long Does Gabapentin (Neurontin) Stay In Your System?
Any medicine goes into the system and metabolizes itself to mix with the blood. In the case of Gabapentin, it is also the same.
The main difference lies in metabolism, and this medicine is metabolized by the kidney, not the liver. Due to this unique mechanism, Gabapentin does not stay long in the system. To understand more definitively, first, the concept of half-life is necessary.
Half-Life Of Gabapentin
You may have read this term in our previous blogs. It is essential to know this concept to understand the overall life of Gabapentin in the system.
The time medicine takes to eliminate half of its quantity in the body is called Half-life. Gabapentin has a half-life of between 5 and 7 hours. The number varies due to factors like:
- Kidney health
- Intake quantity
The half-life of Gabapentin in kidney failure is 132 hours.
Gabapentin stays about 36 to 48 hours in the system. When we say the term 'system,' it also includes hairs, skin, etc. Some factors determine how long it takes for Gabapentin to exit (Goa, K.L. and Sorkin, E.M., 1993).
Factors That Determine How Long Gabapentin Stay In Your System
Humans vary in body, weight, health, etc. It affects the overall stay period in the system. The factors affecting Gabapentin in the system are as follows:
- Age: Human system changes due to age. The metabolism rate of a young person will be more as compared to an aged or older person. The metabolism system slows down as the age of the individual grows. The kidney may take more time to throw out the toxins.
- Quantity of medicine: Quantity matters, The more the intake of the medication, the more will be the exit time, medicine has to go through a process in the body, and large quantities take time to absorb, also has chances of accumulation in the body. Thus follow the prescription.
- Health: A healthy individual takes about 36 to 48 hours to rid off Gabapentin. The same person with health issues can slow down the procedure of metabolism.
How Long Is Gabapentin Detected?
- How Long Gabapentin Is Detected In Urine: Gabapentin can be found max about three days and 24 hours in a minimum range of time. The medicine is thoroughly cleaned out of blood in 3 days as it is not a protein-bound drug.
- How Long Gabapentin Is Detected In Blood: Gabapentin exists for about 5 hours in the blood test.
- How Long Gabapentin Is Detected In Saliva: A saliva test can quickly detect just after consumption. It lasts for one day.
- How Long Gabapentin Is Detected In Hair: Hair tests are conducted to detect the traces of Gabapentin on the scalp or hair follicles. Gabapentin is seen in hair for 90 days
How Much Gabapentin Dose Should You Take?
- Adult (18-64 years): Initial Dose-: 900mg per dose
Max dose: 2400mg to 3600mg per day
- 12-17 years: Initial dose- 900mg Continuity dose- 900mg - 1800mg (divided into 3 times a day)
Max dose 2400mg to 3600mg per day
- Child (3-11 years): Initial dose- 10mg-15mg per day
- Child (0-2 years): No dosage recommended
- Senior Citizen (65+): Prescribed as per the doctor's observation
Gabapentin And 10 Panel Drug Test
Ten-panel tests are conducted to test controlled substances.
As per federal law, Gabapentin is not a controlled substance. It does not even come under five-panel or ten-panel drug tests.
Misuse Of Gabapentin
Gabapentin works as an antidepressant to relieve pain. Its drowsy and dizzy effect can make you dependent on it.
Although it is available only on prescriptions, there are also options like the black market where people buy it for recreational purposes. Gabapentin also has pet names such as “Johnny's” “Gabbies”. People usually mix it with other drowsy medicines to get high on it (Evoy, K.E., Morrison, M.D. and Saklad, S.R., 2017).
The metabolism system is a significant part of determining how long the medicine will stay. Gabapentin is metabolized through the kidneys, making it fast to absorb.
Various factors affect the stay of medication in the body, as it changes according to age, lifestyle, health etc. The best use of drugs lies in the prescription, Hope the answer has catered for your curiosity.