The issue of weight gain differs from person to person. While some want to gain, some want to lose. However in this time and age being thin is a fad. So more often than not most want to reduce weight.
Some drugs result in weight gain, and a small number of people gain weight by using Celebrex. Weight gain caused by medication has its risks. Let us find out more about Celebrex and whether it leads to weight gain.
What is Celebrex?
Celebrex is an NSAID drug. Celebrex helps to treat migraine and different kinds of conditions like acute pain, arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis including juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, menstrual pain.
It is a short-term medication treatment also used to treat mild to moderate pain such as sprains, or tooth pain and post-operative pain. Celebrex is a brand which is also available in a generic form known as Celecoxib. It is a prescription only drug (Jerome J, Brunson T, Takeoka G).
How Is Celebrex Connected With Weight?
As per a study of 131,081 people who consumed Celebrex, a total of out of 3,052 which is 2.33% people had gained weight by using Celebrex.
The weight gain was noticed in women older than 60 years taking, especially those consuming Celebrex for a period of more than one month.
Weight gain is also the main side effects of older adults mainly suffering from Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. The weight gain was not very severe. It was observed that Celebrex caused weight gain ranging from 0.1% to 2% in OA and RA patients.
This happens due to water retention and swelling of hands and feet. This can be dangerous for health. If you notice such side effects, you need medical advice or it will harm your health.
How Does Celebrex Work?
Celebrex works by blocking the enzyme in your body that makes prostaglandins which causes inflammation and pain.
When the enzymes are blocked, you will feel relief. It can also be called a COX-2 inhibitor as it blocks the COX enzyme (Loo, C.Y., Tan, H.J., Teh, H.S. and Raymond, A.A., 2007).
Celebrex Forms and Strength
Celebrex is only available in capsule form. You can swallow the capsule as a whole, but you can open it and eat the applesauce immediately with some water if necessary.
Celebrex comes in four different strengths which include 50mg, 100mg, 200mg and 400 mg. You can order Celebrex over the counter from a certified online pharmacy as Celebrex is only available with prescription so always consult your healthcare provider before consuming any medications.
Your dosage depends on the following:
- Your age
- Severity of illness
- Other medical conditions
- Effectiveness of first dose
The recommended dosage of Celebrex for adults is 200 to 400 mg daily, maximum for seven days. The drug is not yet proven to be safe for children younger than two years.
Side Effects Of Celebrex
You should take the prescribed amount of dose, or it will show the side effects mentioned below.
Common side effects
- Runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat
- Stomach pain
Serious side effects
- Heart attack or stroke
- Asthma attack
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure
- Edema (swelling of hands and feet, unusual weight gain)
- Bleeding and ulcers in the stomach and intestine
- Skin reactions
- Allergic reaction
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems
- Cardiovascular problems
- Digestive problems
Celebrex Consumption Precautions
The following precautions should be kept in mind before consuming Celebrex:
- Your medical advisor should know your medical condition, history. This helps in ascertaining if you are allergic to NSAIDs.
- Take only the prescribed dose. Consuming more than required can lead to severe side effects.
- Avoid combining other medications with Celebrex whether OTC supplements, vitamins or prescribed medicines.
- Attention is required when Celebrex is used on children for arthritis (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) as it may lead to blood clotting problems.
- Limit the usage of alcohol and tobacco while on these medicines. Combining these with Celebrex can cause stomach bleeding.
- Those above 60 years need to be careful while taking this medication as there is a risk of heart, liver, kidney, and gastrointestinal problems.
- NSAIDs are unsafe for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers.
Celebrex is a medicine used to treat pain and inflammation from arthritis. Celebrex has its benefits and risks. You should take medical advice before using Celebrex and follow the precautions. There is less possibility of weight gain due to Celebrex.
Weight gain is a potential side effect of Celebrex only seen in people suffering from arthritis. Again the maximum weight gain that takes place is not more than 2%.