We know that Medications are an excellent way to treat our health problems and relieve our pain.But what if two medications are combined and give you satisfying results?
Blood pressure and pain are different conditions connected to our body. But what if they occur at the same time? Can they be treated?
For instance-If, we take medication for blood pressure and suddenly there is back pain. Can we take other medicine for it? Can we consume them together or not? Let’s find out about Lisinopril and Ibuprofen.
Why is Lisinopril used?
Lisinopril is an antihypertensive drug. Lisinopril is a prescribed medication to treat high blood pressure, heart failure, and heart stroke.
Why is Ibuprofen used ?
Ibuprofen is a pain reliever drug.It reduces fever and treats inflammation, minor aches, joint pain, sore throat, cold, etc.
Ibuprofen is also prescribed for arthritis and osteoarthritis in people. Ibuprofen is sold under common brand names Advil, Motrin, and Nuprin. Order Ibuprofen online from a certified online pharmacy. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
Mechanism of Lisinopril
Lisinopril belongs to a group of medication ACE(angiotensin-converting enzyme)inhibitors. Lisinopril works on angiotensin systems and blocks enzymes called ACE.
This enzyme produces a hormone called angiotensin-II, which helps regulate blood pressure by causing blood vessels to constrict. It blocks the production of angiotensin-II and lowers blood pressure by relaxing the veins and arteries in the body. (Olvera Lopez E, Parmar M, Pendela VS, et al)
Mechanism of Ibuprofen
Ibuprofen belongs to a drug class called a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). When cells in your body are injured, the cells release certain chemicals in response called prostaglandins.
These chemicals cause inflammation and amplify signals coming from nerves. Thus, they increase the pain you feel. Ibuprofen works by blocking the prostaglandins, and you feel relief. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
Offer On Ibuprofen Will End Soon
Can you take Lisinopril and Ibuprofen together?
If you are a patient with high blood pressure, you need to be attentive and careful while consuming OTC pain medication.
Some NSAIDs can be risky for people with high blood pressure, like Ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, ketoprofen, etc.
Effects of Lisinopril and Ibuprofen on Kidney
Ibuprofen initially passes through the kidneys. The kidneys are safe and healthy when the blood pressure in the kidneys goes from high to normal. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
But when we have a kidney problem, the blood pressure goes from normal to low, which leads to damage to the kidneys, which can happen to patients who consume ACE inhibitors and get dehydrated or develop low blood pressure from other causes.
Therefore if we mix Ibuprofen with Lisinopril, things can get even worse. (Olvera Lopez E, Parmar M, Pendela VS, et al)
Effects of Lisinopril and Ibuprofen on Stomach and Intestine
If we regularly use Ibuprofen, there are chances of stomach and intestinal bleeding, and if we combine both, it can show harmful effects on the intestine and stomach. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
Ibuprofen and all NSAIDs irritate and erode the lining of the stomach and intestines, causing an ulcer or sore, which leads to bleeding. Some patients who take Ibuprofen have noticed and reported passing blood in their stool after one dose of Ibuprofen.
However, patients who don’t have stomach and intestine disorders don’t have such bleeding problems. (Olvera Lopez E, Parmar M, Pendela VS, et al)
Effects of Lisinopril and Ibuprofen on Heart
There is a risk of a heart attack while consuming Ibuprofen. Some people have experienced heart attacks soon after taking Ibuprofen. This usually occurs in people with heart disease or a history of heart attack and after open-heart surgery. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
Ibuprofen makes ACE inhibitors(Lisinopril) less effective and increases blood pressure, making it hard to control.The doctor may advise this patient to monitor their blood pressure to stay safe regularly. (Olvera Lopez E, Parmar M, Pendela VS, et al)
What are the other Pain Medications we can take with Lisinopril?
Other NSAID pain relievers may be less dangerous, like Aspirin and Acetaminophen.
- Aspirin-Low dose of Aspirin, 75mg a day, is safe to take with Lisinopril for people with hypertension.
- Acetaminophen appears to be the safest option that doesn’t raise the blood pressure, and you can take it with Lisinopril.
Dosages of Lisinopril
Dosages are recommended by our health care providers, which depend on several factors like age, weight, medical condition, the effect of medication, etc.
Dosage of Lisinopril can vary depending on whether it is being used for hypertension, heart disorders, etc. The recommended dose of Lisinopril for high blood pressure is 10mg once a day.
Dosages of Ibuprofen
Dosage for mild to moderate pain might be as follows-
Adults can consume 200mg to 400 mg every 4 to 6 hours. The maximum dosage for adults is 3200mg per day
Side Effects of Lisinopril and Ibuprofen
You may notice some common side effects during the start of your treatment which may last long till one week. Consult your healthcare provider if side effects don’t fade within a week.
Common side effects of Lisinopril
- When you consume Lisinopril, you may notice some irritation in the throat, leading to Cough.
- You may feel dizziness or feel weak and unsteady. You may also experience a false sense of motion.
- Headache is a common symptom of Lisinopril.
- You may be Fatigued, which is unusual, or whole-body tiredness not relieved by sleep.
- You may suffer from diarrhoea and notice loose, watery stools.
- In the initial period, Lisinopril results in mild chest pain and causes low blood pressure. (Olvera Lopez E, Parmar M, Pendela VS, et al)
Common side effects of Ibuprofen
- During the start of your treatment, you may feel like vomiting because of your stomach discomfort, which is called Nausea.
- If you vomit soon after taking Ibuprofen, it is possible that your body didn’t have the chance to absorb it.
- You may feel lightheadedness or a mild Headache.
- It becomes difficult or painful for you to pass the stools, which are hard, dry, and lumpy, called constipation.
- It results in Diarrhoea, which is loose and watery stools.
- You may feel weak or dizzy, or tired; you might feel sleepy or tired during the day.
- Symptoms may occur like indigestion or upset stomach, and stomach pain. (Ngo VTH, Bajaj T)
Who can't take Lisinopril?
- Those who had allergic reactions with Lisinopril or any other medication, herbs, supplement, vitamins, and ever had a history of angioedema(swelling of mouth, tongue, throat).
- If you are a patient with a kidney disorder or ever have dialysis, there is a risk of severe side effects with Lisinopril. Please consult your doctor so they can adjust the medication.
- For people with diabetes because the medication can affect blood sugar levels.
- Lisinopril is avoided in pregnant women as it is not safe for the foetus.
- There is also a risk for older patients with Lisinopril, so they are suggested for low doses.
- Lisinopril is not recommended for children younger than six years.
- The medication may not work in Black patients.
See Deals On Lisinopril
Who can't take Ibuprofen?
- Don’t use it if you ever had an allergic reaction to Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs or medication.
- If you ever had a heart attack, asthma, liver and kidney disease. Avoid the usage if you ever have high blood pressure or stomach and intestinal problems.
- Ibuprofen is not recommended if the child is younger than six months old.
- Usage of Ibuprofen should be avoided in pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers as it harms the foetus and causes problems in delivery.
- Don’t take medication for a more extended period as they cause serious side effects, so elder patients above 65 are suggested a low dose for a short period.
Lisinopril is an antihypertensive drug that treats various heart disorders. Ibuprofen is a painkiller medication that treats minor aches, joint pain, inflammation, swelling, etc.
They both are different medications that work in different ways to treat conditions.
They differ in dosages, forms, and strength mentioned above. Be aware and careful while consuming both medications together.
Avoid the usage of Lisinopril with Ibuprofen as they show dangerous effects on the body. Other safest alternatives are available
Lisinopril treats high blood pressure, but there is a risk of causing insomnia(sleep disorders).
No, it does not affect our weight. Lisinopril is not known to cause weight loss or weight gain.
All NSAIDs affect the blood, including Ibuprofen. It slows down the clotting time. That means if we have a cut on our body, it may take longer to stop the bleeding.