Toradol and Ibuprofen are the medications that belong to the NSAIDs drug class and treat pain and inflammation-related issues; even though the working is similar, the functioning is not the same.
What Is Toradol?
Ketorolac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory sold under the brand name Toradol that treats pain and inflammation. As the medication only treats mild pain, it cannot treat severe pain caused by arthritis. Toradol is not available over the counter, you always need a prescription from the doctor and you can order Toradol over the counter from a certified online pharmacy (Larach, S. and Williamson, P., 1994).
What Is Ibuprofen?
Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine that treats mild to moderate pain and inflammation-related issues. It works by blocking the naturally occurring substance that causes pain and inflammation. This medicine is consumed orally (KANTOR, T.G., 1979).
- Toradol is the medication that treats pain and inflammation. On the other hand, Ibuprofen is the medication that treats pain, inflammation, and fever.
- Toradol is a medication that treats short-term conditions and is mainly used after surgery for pain relief. Whereas, Ibuprofen treats mild to moderate pain caused by menstruation cramps, backache, or any injury.
- Toradol is no longer available over the counter in the USA. Whereas, Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter medication.
- Toradol is also available as a nasal spray if you don’t want to opt for injection. In contrast, Ibuprofen is also available in liquid form with a variety of flavors.
Toradol can increase the bleeding and is not considered effective if suffering from gastrointestinal bleeding or ulcers. Ibuprofen is not safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding (Tanabe, P. and Buschmann, M., 1999).
- Toradol and Ibuprofen, both medications, belong to the same class that is NSAIDs.
- Both the medications treat pain and inflammation-related issues.
- Both drugs should not be taken by patients suffering from heart, kidney disease, or bleeding.
Study: Toradol V/S Ibuprofen
STUDY: This study was conducted by Acad Emerg Med
AIM: A comparison study of Toradol v/s ibuprofen to detect the efficiency within the patients with acute pain.
RESULT: This experimentation was conducted on 119 subjects diagnosed with acute pain and was provided with the dosage, respectively dividing them into two groups to get accurate results. The result exhibited that Toradol and Ibuprofen did not have any significant differences in pain scores. However, in both therapy groups, there was a statistically significant decrease in pain with time. Despite this, 40 percent of patients reported pain intensity levels of 5-8 two hours following therapy.
CONCLUSION: In ED patients with moderate to severe pain, ketorolac and oral Ibuprofen give equivalent degrees of analgesia. Unfortunately, neither ketorolac nor Ibuprofen provided appropriate pain relief for 40% of the patients.
Dosage Of Toradol
The dosage of this medication should only be taken according to the prescription and under the surveillance of the medical practitioner.
- Injectable- 30mg single dosage
- Maximum dose- 120mg (not advisable to exceed more or can lead to overdose)
- Oral- 20 mg per once orally
- Maximum dose- 40mg per
Dosage For Ibuprofen
The dosage of this medication is taken orally in the form of tablets and capsules. This medication should only be taken by the pediatrics under doctors’ advice. The adult dosage is as follows:
Initial dosage: 400 mg can be taken by the person experiencing mild to moderate pain every 4-6 hours.
Maximum dosage: 3200 mg is the
the maximum dose for one day.
Pediatrics: the dosage entirely depends upon the age and weight of the child.
Side Effects Of Toradol
Adverse Side Effects
The adverse side effects are as follows:
- Pessimistic thoughts
- Euphoric feeling
- Liver failure
- Hemolytic-uremic syndrome
Contact the medical expert immediately if notice any of these symptoms.
Common Side Effects
- Vomiting or nausea
- Drowsiness and dizziness
- Abdominal pain or stomach pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Itching or irritation
- These are a few common side effects that won’t last long but in any case, consult the physician.
Side Effects Of Ibuprofen
The side effects can be common as well as adverse. However, consult the doctor in any situation.
Adverse side effects leading to termination of medication:
- Swelling or gaining weight rapidly.
- Skin rash.
- Liver and kidney problems.
- Doubled vision
If you face any of these issues, consult the doctor regarding the problem immediately. If the issues become unbearable, contact the health line number.
Common Side Effects:
- Dizziness and headache.
- Vomiting and nausea.
These side effects may fade within a short period; if not, consult the doctor.
If you face any of these issues, consult the doctor regarding the problem immediately. If the issues become unbearable, contact the health line number (Rogers, M.J., Johnson, B.R., Remeikis, N.A. and BeGole, E.A., 1999).