Medicines have several attributes or effects that make the patient sleepy, drowsy. These effects are also dependent upon your health status. Naproxen has the drowsy effect that can make you feel sleepy and many other NSAIDs too. This sleepy effect can be useful as well as can create chaos as people are taking it in different timelines disturbing their work and life.
Nsaids are mainly known for its effective use in severe pain and inflammationNaproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug(NSAID). It works by inhibiting mediators of pain and inflammation.
Naproxen is used to treat painful conditions such as headaches, dental aches, muscle aches and migraines as well as inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis and tendinitis.
A study conducted at the Bowling Green State University (Ohio) demonstrated that some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have adverse effects on sleep. In the study, thirty-seven subjects were made to sleep in a sleep laboratory for two nights and their sleep was recorded on a polygraph.
The study showed that the group which were given the NSAIDs had greater sleep disruptions than the placebo group. It stated that these disruptions might be directly or indirectly linked to NSAID inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis, changes in body temperature and suppression of melatonin.
Melatonin is a hormone that plays an essential role in the body’s sleep-wake cycle hence its suppression might have led to the negative effects on sleep.
What Does The Study Say?
- The study however, was on aspirin and ibuprofen which are also NSAIDs and not specifically on naproxen and the sleep disruptions noted were not statistically significant when compared to the placebo group.( P J Murphy et al. Physiol Behav. 1994 Jun.)
- Another study in the International Journal of Clinical Practice Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd evaluated sleep aid and analgesic combination of Naproxen sodium and diphenhydramine in dental pain with patients with transient insomnia. The study aimed to demonstrate the added benefit and optimal dosages of the combination of Naproxen and Diphenhydramine over individual components alone in improving sleep and pain.
- Two studies were conducted and in both, the experiment was a randomized, double-blind, and double-dummy trial. The subjects in both studies were given a combination of Naproxen and Diphenhydramine in different dosages and the individual drugs alone. The primary end-points in both studies were wake time after sleep onset and sleep latency which was measured by actigraphy.
- The studies concluded that just the combination of Naproxen 440 mg/Diphenhydramine 50mg improved sleep latency and maintenance as opposed to the individual drugs alone even at same dosages (S Cooper et al. Int J Clin Pract. 2015 Oct.)
Things You Shouldn’t Do Under The Influence Of Naproxen
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase the risk of stomach bleeding. Consult your doctor if you have symptoms of stomach or intestinal bleeding. Some of the symptoms to look out for are black or bloody stools, coughing up blood, or vomiting blood.
Use of Heavy Machinery/ Driving:
You shouldn’t operate heavy machinery or drive when under the influence of Naproxen as it may cause fatigue and drowsiness. Also, try to avoid other activities that require alertness and attention.
In Conclusion, there are no studies to show a direct or indirect effect of naproxen on sleep although some other NSAIDs have been proven to negatively affect sleep. However, naproxen can cause drowsiness and fatigue hence heavy machinery and driving should be avoided when taking it.
You can buy naproxen online through a proper prescription always avoid taking it from the non certified sites that gives harmful or fake products. There are various sites available where you can get naproxen online.
Naproxen is indeed one of useful Nsaids and also widely used for pain relief. Its effective mechanism of stopping pain hormones makes it a credible medicine. Perhaps every medicine has some other effects that can help to conclude the ailment but sometimes it also has effects.
Naproxen usage can create drowsiness which turns into sedative sleep, however, these sedatives can be helpful to calm down the pain and make you relax but when you are dependent on it can create harmful situations. It is better to take rest after the consumption of medicine as Naproxen can make you sleepy.
- Brown GM. Light, melatonin and the sleep-wake cycle. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 1994 Nov;19(5):345-53. PMID: 7803368; PMCID: PMC1188623 accessed on Dec 01, 2021.
- Aisen PS, Schafer KA, Grundman M, et al. Effects of Rofecoxib or Naproxen vs Placebo on Alzheimer Disease Progression: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2003;289(21):2819–2826. doi:10.1001/jama.289.21.2819 accessed on Dec 01, 2021.
- Naproxen makes her sleepy by Peoples Pharmacy accessed on Dec 02, 2021