A survey from the National Institute of Health reported that 11% of Americans faced the problem of body pain every day for about three months. To get rid of this pain, many people trust two effective medications to relieve pain: Soma and Tramadol.
Many people need clarification about these medicines by comparing their working and effectiveness to identify which is better. Mainly Soma and Tramadol relieve the pain, but it has different drug classes and eases additional pain.
Let’s get more details about it with the help of this blog which has insights into both drugs, including their similarities and dissimilarities. To know which drug is more effective, kindly read the full article.
The blog will give you insights into both drugs, including their similarities and dissimilarities. To know which drug is more effective, kindly read the full article.
A Short Brief To Soma And Tramadol
Soma is a skeletal muscle relaxant with Carisoprodol as an active ingredient to treat short-term acute pain. Generally, Soma is used to ease pain caused by specific injuries, strains, and sprains.
The FDA( Food And Drug Administration) approved Soma for pain relief treatment. It is also used in physical therapy to relax muscles and reach the peak of calmness. It can be purchased only with prescription as the somas pills are considered as controlled drug. Only certified pharmacy’s makes available to sell.
Tramadol is an opioid medication used to treat moderate and severe pain. It’s an effective medicine that eases pain rapidly. Even though the National Health Service also recognizes Tramadol as a secondary medication for the treatment of Fibromyalgia.
History Behind Soma And Tramadol
In 1959, a drug was approved by the United States for medical use to treat musculoskeletal pain. The drug was called Carisoprodol, sold under the brand name Soma. the drug should not be used over three weeks. Later on, in 2008, Europe withdrew its approval. On the contrary, in 2017, Soma ranked 255th for being the most commonly sold drug in the United States, with over 1 million prescriptions.
On the other hand, in 1963, opioid pain medication was patented and launched in 1977 under the name “Tramal.” Tramadol was sold under Ultram, Zytram, Qdolo, and others. The drug is used to treat mild to acute pain in adults. It belongs to the drug group of Narcotic analgesics. This makes us wonder about the exact use of Tramadol.
Which One Is Effective Soma Or Tramadol?
Soma (Carisoprodol) and tramadol both are different from each other. So their effectiveness depends on the condition they are used to treat.
Soma and tramadol are effective drugs in their specific condition; these two medications have their individual potential side effects and risks. It should only be used as directed by your doctor.
Therefore the choice of soma or tramadol depends on your health condition. Your healthcare provider may prescribe better medication according to your condition.
Difference Between Soma And Tramadol
- Soma comes in the form of tablets.
- Tramadol comes in tablets, capsules, extended-release, suspension, and Reconstituted.
- Three hundred thirty-four drugs interact with Soma, with 26 major, 307 moderate, and one minor.
- Tramadol interacts with 543 drugs, 294 majors, 246 moderates, and three minors.
- The half-life of Soma is 3 hours.
- The half-life of Tramadol is 5-6 hours.
- Soma can be taken during physical therapy, rest, and other treatments.
- Tramadol is used before or after surgery.
- The cost of some is $1.42 per pill.
- The cost of Tramadol is $1.99 per pill.
- Soma comes in the form of tablets. Tramadol comes in tablets, capsules, Extended-release, suspension, and Reconstituted.
- Three hundred thirty-four drugs interact with Soma, with 26 major, 307 moderate, and one minor. Tramadol interacts with 543 pills, 294 majors, 246 moderates, and three children.
How Long Does Soma Stay In Your System Vs Tramadol?
- The half-life of Soma is 2.5 hours or 12 hours depending upon the metabolism and the system.. Tramadol’s half-life is 5-6 hours. To know
- The oral tablet of Soma costs $212.75 for 30 quantities. Tramadol oral tablet costs from $13.39- 34.43 for 100 amounts. The 50 mg of Tramadol cost is around $12 for the supply of 9 tablets. The prices also depend upon the pharmacy you visit.:
Differences Between Soma And Tramadol's Mechanism
Soma is muscle relaxant medicine. It is jointly used with rest and physical therapy to treat skeletal muscle conditions caused by strains, sprains, and injuries.
Soma works by affecting communication among the nerves and the central nervous system. It produces a sense of calmness to relax muscles and relieve pain. No direct action on the skeletal muscle or neuromuscular junction has been observed.
Tramadol is a drug used to treat chronic and acute pain. It is allowed for the treatment of Fibromyalgia as a secondary painkiller by the NHS.
Tramadol acts on pain receptors in the central nervous system and the brain to prevent pain signals to the rest of the body. It further operates in your brain to stop you from sensing pain messages to ease the body and distance from the pain.
How Long Does Soma Takes To Feel Better?
Soma will take 30 minutes to show its effect, and you will feel better within 2 to 3 days. The FDA has approved Soma as a pain relief treatment as it ensures fast recovery from symptoms. It is a short-term treatment for muscle pain, spasms, and nocturnal leg cramps. Long-term and excessive use of Soma is harmful to health.
How Long Does Tramadol Take To Ease Your Pain?
Tramadol helps you to recover from symptoms within a half-hour, and you will feel better within 2 to 3 days. Tramadol is an opioid pain reliever it affects the brain and relieves your body from torment. Tramadol should not be crushed and snorted for fast recovery. It will be hazardous to health and can cause severe side effects.
Uses Of Soma And Tramadol Besides Pain Relief
Tramadol treats pain that occurs in the back, muscles, and bones. It also helps in easing pain from cancer, Fibromyalgia, and surgery. Besides pain, Tramadol pills are also prescribed for premature ejaculation dysfunction, and Soma is used to treat giddiness, relaxation, etc.
Dosages Of Soma And Tramadol
• A usual Carisoprodol adult dosage can go around 250 to 350 mg orally thrice daily and at bedtime.
• The therapy can be up to 2-3 weeks. Consistent usage or misguided carisoprodol dosage can create unwanted consequences.
Note: A prescription should be provided for effective dosage direction while buying Soma.
• An unusual adult pain (17 years or older) dosage can go around 50 to 100 mg orally.
• The maximum dosage can go around- 300 mg per day.
The dosage information should be kept from your physician’s prescription. Dosage may vary from person to person, so following your physician’s advice is recommended while dosing.
Side Effects Of Soma And Tramadol
Every drug endures some side effects. It depends on person to person and the amount of consumption. The side effects can sometimes be expected, but they can sometimes be critical.
Soma side effects
Tramadol side effects
Common side effects of Soma
Common Side Effects Of Tramadol
Serious side effects of Soma
Serious Side Effects Of Tramadol
The above list only consists of some of the side effects. If you experience any other side effects, do not delay and visit your doctor. If any of the above side effects worsen or do not disappear quickly, kindly contact your physician for further medical assistance.
Warnings And Precautions
- Never use soma and alcohol or tramadol together.
- Muscle relaxers make you sleepy, make sure you do not work on any hazardous machinery.
- Take the medications as prescribed. Do not overdose or abuse the medicines.
- If, in any case, you missed your dose, take it immediately but avoid it if it is time for your next dose.
- Keep track of your amount, as overuse can make you addicted.
- Do not discontinue taking the medicines; consult your doctor to stop taking them safely
Pregnancy And Breastfeeding
Soma falls into C Category. Women’s cant take somas while pregnant without consulting Doctor. The drug can only be given to pregnant women if the Doctor believes that the benefit of the drug can overwrite any risk.
Soma can enter breast milk. There needs to be an adequate study on how well the drug is effective. Hence, if necessary, it should only be used under medical experts’ supervision.
Similarly, the drug is not recommended for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. It can only be used if your healthcare provider feels it necessary, and the benefit can outweigh future risks.
Tramadol Drug Interactions
The interaction of Tramadol with other medications can lead to respiratory disease, coma, or even death. Five hundred forty-three drugs interact with Tramadol, of which 294 drug interactions are significant and 294 majors, 246 moderates, and three minors. Limit the use of alcohol or avoid it, as Tramadol interacts with alcohol, leading to drowsiness, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating.
Tramadol Interactions With Other Drugs
Soma Drug Interactions
As earlier mentioned, Soma interacted with 346 drugs, of which 26 drug interactions were major, 307 moderate, and one minor. Same as Tramadol, Soma also should not be taken with alcohol as it may cause dizziness and make your vision blurred.
Following are some drugs whose interactions with Soma may cause side effects:
Avoid using both medications together for an extended period as it shows adverse effects on your body.
Is Soma Or Tramadol A Narcotic Drug?
As you have seen, Soma and Tramadol are used to ease the pain, but some cases have been found where people often abuse medicines, mostly Tramadol.
Tramadol is a prescribed narcotic drug used to treat moderate pain, but citizens also criticize it for being risky. The National Survey Of Drug Use & Health study says that 1.8 million Americans got addicted to Tramadol alone or in combination with other drugs in the last three years.
The DEA identifies soma a controlled substance instead of Narcotic. It is classified as Schedule IV drug.
So, here is where we classified Soma and Tramadol. As we all know, every medicine impacts the human body differently. If you want to relieve the pain effectively, then both will do their work efficiently. But if you want to get the medicine in a preferred price range and avoid the legal work which included in soma, Soma pills is the best option for you. Also, please do not take these medications with alcohol, as it may increase the chances of getting side effects.
Both medicines are available on prescription only, so don’t get confused over them. First, get the proper advice from your physician about these medicines, then use them same as other medicine.
- Carisoprodol/sodium oxybate/tramadol overdose. React. Wkly.1265, 12 (2009). https://doi.org/10.2165/00128415-200912650-00033
Reeves, R. R., and V. Liberto. “Abuse of Combinations of Carisoprodol and Tramadol.” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 94, no. 5, May 2001, pp. 512–14, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11372804/. Accessed 11 Mar. 2021.at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007611-200194050-00015.
- “Dangers of Mixing Soma and Alcohol (Short & Long Term Side Effects).” American Addiction Centers, 14 Mar. 2021, americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/mixing-with-soma. Accessed 3 Apr. 2023.
Drug Enforcement Administration. “Drug Scheduling.” Www.dea.gov, 10 July 2018, www.dea.gov/drug-information/drug-scheduling. Accessed 12 Mar. 2021.