Pain is a sensation experienced which consists of physiological & psychological reflex & response to any stimulus. As we can observe, the human body is fragile in nature and easily stimulated.
Around 50 percent of individuals in the USA undergo acute to chronic neck pain in which 20 percent of people’s daily routine gets affected. Gabapentin an antiepileptic drug and anticonvulsant in drug class nature is able to heal the pain, as an anti seizure medication it also helps in several pain and neck pain is one of them. In Short Gabapentin For Neck Pain can be the good decision. Getting detailed information about medicine is as essential as the medical decision.
Gabapentin For Neck Pain or Neuropathic Neck Pain?
Gabapentin helps in neuropathic neck pain. For a short understanding neuropathic pain is experienced when there is any injury/damage to the nerves or some part of the central nervous system or independently caused by diseases like diabetes .This pain is described as a sharp, shooting, pricking, burning type of pain. So what causes the neck pain?
Causes of Neuropathic Neck pain:
- Compression neuropathy: results from damage or injury to the nerve due to compression/pressure which occurs due to repetitive strain/ injury.
- Post herpetic neuralgia: Shingles can affect the nerves that passes the signals to the brain altering the signals in the nerves of neck and head and causing pain
- Poor posture: Sitting in a hunched back position, using computer screens for longer durations causes neck pain.
- Sleeping in Awkward position: sleeping with head at a bad angle leads to neck pain & stiffness.
- Trauma: any fall, blow or high impact to the head or neck causes blunt pain and also damages the nerves leading to neuro pathic nerve pain.
- Cervical degenerative disease: when the cushioning present between 2 cervical vertebrae reduces it leads to chronic neck pain.
- Cervical Osteoarthritis: when there is wear & tear to the cartilage of the vertebra, pain is experienced.
- Spinal tumor: Any tumor, such as from cancer, could develop in the cervical spine and damage tissues or press against a nerve which leads to pain.
- Spondylolisthesis: This condition occurs when one vertebra slips over the one below it. It can be due to a tiny fracture in the vertebra, ligament laxity, or possibly from advanced disc degeneration.
How Gabapentin Helps In Neck pain?
Gabapentin/Neurontin is basically a drug which belongs to the anticonvulsant class of medicines which primarily are used to treat seizures(fits) & also used to treat pain of neuropathic origin. It is the 1st drug of choice for pain arising due to Diabetic neuropathy, post herpetic neuralgia.
There is no proper understanding how the gabapentin heals neck pain. As per its mechanism of action it alters the neurotransmitters called GABA and nerves which pass on the pain signals to the brain, thus the neck pain is slowed down.
What Is The Dosage Of Gabapentin To Heal Neck Pain?
The established therapeutic dose of Gabapentin for neck pain in patients with normal Renal (Kidney) Function is 600 mg 3 times a day maximum, for patients with reduced Renal Function or on dialysis is Gabapentin thrice a week after dialysis.
- 300 mg orally on day one,
- 300 mg orally 2 times day on day two,
- then 300 mg orally 3 times a day on day three
- -Titrate up as needed for pain relief
- -Maximum dose: 1800 mg per day (600 mg orally 3 times a day)
What Are The Risk Factors Involved Using Gabapentin In Neck Pain?
Gabapentin covers neck pain , risk associated with it can be in the form of side effects. Using gabapentin more than its prescription can increase the side effects like dizziness, imbalance mind, suicidal thoughts etc. As per FDA gabapentin is not a controlled substance but in some states it is a schedule V controlled drug. Buying Gabapentin is done from a certified pharmacy.
Risk Associated with Gabapentin/ Side effects:
- Tiredness or weakness
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of your body
- Double or blurred vision
- Memory problems
- Strange or unusual thoughts
- Unwanted eye movements
- Dry mouth
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
- Swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Back or joint pain
- Runny nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat, or flu-like symptoms
- Ear pain
- Red, itchy eyes (sometimes with swelling or discharge)
Some side effects may be serious:
- Swelling of the face, Throat, tongue, lips, or eyes
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Difficulty breathing; bluish-tinged skin, lips, or fingernails; confusion; or extreme sleepiness
What Other Medicines Can Be Used For Neck Pain?
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Narcotic painkillers.
- Muscle Relaxants.
Let's Sum Up!
Neck pain can be relieved if it is caused by any damage , bruises on the nerves clearly gabapentin heals neuropathic neck pain.
It can be used safely in the mentioned dose and is effectively found to reduce pain in the neck caused due to neuropathic origin. Adverse effects of the drug can be avoided when taken appropriately as per physicians advice.