Diclofenac is effective for relief from migraine. It is a very common drug used in day-to-day routine by migraine patients. It is also available widely across the entire country and around the world. It is an over the counter medication in United States, you can buy diclofenac over the counter online from a certified online pharmacy.
Diclofenac is a phenylacetic acid derivative that has anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, and analgesic properties through inhibition of COX-1 and COX-2 activity and prostaglandin synthesis.
Diclofenac is a potent COX inhibitor, with activity 3–1000 times greater than other NSAIDs. These actions relieve migraine (Gan, T.J., 2010. Diclofenac: an update on its mechanism of action).
Scientific Study For Treatment Of Acute Migraine Attack With Diclofenac
In a double-blind placebo-controlled experiment comprising 86 migraine patients, the efficacy of diclofenac sodium, a powerful prostaglandin inhibitor, was examined in patients with acute migraine attacks.
Forty-six patients with acute migraine attacks were given a 75 mg diclofenac sodium intramuscular injection, while another forty individuals were given a paracetamol intramuscular injection.
The diclofenac sodium group experienced partial or complete relief of pain and other symptoms of an acute migraine episode within 10 minutes of treatment, while the paracetamol group experienced relief within 32 minutes.
In 40 patients (88 percent), complete alleviation of the attack was achieved within 30 minutes after diclofenac sodium, compared to 7 patients (17.5 percent) in the paracetamol group. Side effects were uncommon and minor.
In conclusion, diclofenac sodium given intramuscularly is a highly effective treatment for acute migraine attacks (McNeely, W. and Goa, K.L., 1999. Diclofenac-potassium in migraine).
Dosage Forms And Strengths
- Packet-50 mg (1 packet) in 30-60 mL of water, mixed well, and drunk immediately
- Tablet-50 mg
- Capsule-25 mg
1.Tablet delayed release
- 25mg (generic)
- 50mg (generic)
- 75mg (generic)
- 100mg (generic)
Diclofenac is not for prophylaxis but only for an acute attack of migraine. Use the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration consistent with individual patient treatment goals.
Who Can And Cannot Take Diclofenac?
Most adults can take diclofenac. Diclofenac is not suitable for some people. To make sure it's safe for you, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you:
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to diclofenac or any other medicines.
- Have an allergy to aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
- Have ever had side effects from taking NSAIDs, such as wheezing or other signs of asthma, a runny nose, swelling of the skin (angioedema), or a rash.
- Have ever had stomach ulcers, bleeding in the stomach or intestines, or a hole in your stomach.
- Have high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Have heart failure, severe liver disease, or kidney disease.
- Are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding.
What If I Take Too Much?
Taking more than your prescribed dose of diclofenac tablets, capsules or suppositories can be dangerous. It can cause side effects such as:
- Stomach Ache
- Feeling or Being Sick (Vomiting)
- Black poo or Blood in your vomit – a sign of Bleeding in your Stomach
- Ringing in your Ears (Tinnitus)
Contact your doctor if you consume more than required or visit a hospital near you for proper management.
Diclofenac Sodium is a generic medication that is used to treat mild to moderate pain as well as the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis can also be treated with diclofenac sodium. Menstrual cramps can be treated with several brand-name versions. Diclofenac Sodium is also known by the names Diclofex DC, Voltaren, Solaraze, Voltaren Gel, and Pennsaid.