Differences, comparison specifications of medicine creates an awareness regarding the best choices for pain relief. Robaxin vs flexeril are similar medicines used for muscle relaxing. The differences lie in their active ingredient, price, area of most effect and others.
The generic name for Robaxin is Methocarbamol and Cyclobenzaprine is the generic name of Flexeril. Robaxin and Flexeril are both effective treatments for musculoskeletal pain and muscle spasms.
Robaxin vs. Flexeril are classified as antispasmodic agents. You can also order Robaxin online by visiting certified online pharmacies, but it is better to take any medications with doctor’s advice or prescription.
The brand name Robaxin was discontinued in the United States in the year 2018. Solco states that the reason for discontinuing was shortage of an active ingredient. The other brands which are now available are Baclofen and Soma in the United States.
What Are The Differences Between Flexeril And Robaxin?
- Flexeril was approved for medical use in the United States in 1977, Robaxin was approved by FDA on 16 July 1957.
- The precise mechanism of Flexeril is still not entirely determined. Still, the drug seems to initially act at the brain stem to lessen tonic somatic motor activity, affecting both gamma and alpha motor neurons, leading to decreased muscle spasms. The mechanism of Robaxin is still not confirmed.
- The dosage form of Flexeril is tablet and capsule. Robaxin comes in the dosage form of a tablet and injectable solution.
- Robaxin and Flexeril both can interact with narcotic painkillers, alcohol, sedative or hypnotic medications, and other medications that depress the central nervous system.
Difference Between Their Side Effects
General side effects of Robaxin are-
- Stomach upset
- Memory problems
- Loss of balance or coordination.
- Double vision
- Sleep problems
- Eye redness
General side effects of Flexeril-
- Dry mouth or throat
- Blurred vision
- Stomach pain
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of appetite
Differences Between Their Warnings
- People experiencing thyroid disorder, heart block, congestive heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, or have recently had a heart attack should not consume the medicine.
- Do not use the drug if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days.
- The drug is not approved for people younger than 15-year-old.
- Brief your doctor about your past and current medical conditions and medicines if you are consuming any.
- Older people may be more sensitive to the effects of this drug.
- Do not take the drug if you have an allergy to methocarbamol.
- The drug may impair your thinking. Be alert or avoid driving or activities that require mental alertness.
- Avoid taking alcohol when on this medication.
- The drug is not approved for people younger than 16-year-old unless to treat tetanus.
Can We Consume Alcohol With Robaxin Or Flexeril?
It is not recommended to consume alcohol with muscle relaxers due to side effects like heavy sleepiness, drowsiness, lack of control.
Robaxin And Flexeril During Pregnancy And Breastfeeding?
- For Robaxin, there are no adequate studies that can determine the safety and effectiveness in pregnancy. Pregnant ladies should avoid muscle relaxers as it may cause harm to the unborn.
- Likewise, in breastfeeding, it is still not known whether the drug enters breast milk. The medicine should also be avoided in nursing mothers.
- No adequate studies of Flexeril in the pregnant woman. However, animals suggest no important effect on the fetus. Therefore, Flexeril can be used only when your health provider feels it is necessary.
- It is not known that Flexeril is secreted in milk. Caution is recommended in using this drug while breastfeeding.
Robaxin vs. Flexeril: Which Is More Effective?
Flexeril is the most studied drug and hence has more supporting proof of its effectiveness. According to the experiment done on patients, they felt slightly sounder improvements in local pain with Cyclobenzaprine (48% vs. 40%). Robaxin takes 30 minutes to kick in and full effects are seen in 2 hours.
Methocarbamol is the best-known brand, while Robaxin is an effective muscle relaxant recommended as a pain reliever for short-term muscle pain and muscle spasms. Methocarbamol is helpful in the treatment of seizures and muscle spasms as a result of the ingestion of toxic substances in cats and dogs.
Conditions treated by Robaxin and Flexeril are almost the same, such as muscle spasms, pain, injury. Robaxin can also be used to treat tetanus, whereas Flexeril can be used off-label for fibromyalgia, a condition that causes intense fatigue, disturbed sleep and pain. As per research, 5 million Americans have fibromyalgia.
Robaxin is for short-term treatment as prescribed by your physician. Similarly, Flexeril is not used for more than 2-3 weeks. Both Flexeril and Robaxin are used as muscle relaxants. It depends on your condition and medical history, which will be more effective for you.
Another option is to select a specific muscle relaxant (such as methocarbamol or other drugs of the same class) based on the quality of the drug and the condition of the patient.
To conclude in an nutshell Flexeril the brand of Cyclobenzaprine is more effective compared to Robaxin the brand for Methocarbamol. Flexeril is 8% more effective than Robaxin. (48% vs 40%).
Robaxin is a CNS depressant with sedative and musculoskeletal relaxant properties.
Methocarbamol is mistaken as a narcotic due to its side effects of drowsiness, but it isn’t a narcotic. It is a CNS depressant and muscle relaxant to treat pain.
Both Robaxin and Flexeril drugs are muscle relaxants utilized to manage skeletal muscle conditions such as injury or pain. They are used mutually with rest and physical therapy.
According to the list released, Robaxin is the best muscle relaxant.